Sign in to follow this  
khurrado

Post crash Suspension probs!!

Got a few problems with my c still, would appreciate any help on them.

I hit a traffic island in an evasive manouver to avoid an idiot 4 months ago. Completeley kille doff one alloy wheel and wishbone etc.

Took my car to a dodgey mechanic, and 400 pounds later he changed both wishbones, one driveshaft, strut mount, rear engine mount, fuel pump, floor lining(very poorly done).

I had bought a cross member and sub frame but he did not use them.

As a result, my engine still does not sit flat, and vibrates in high rev, my wheels do not line up accurately under the arches(poss sub frame prob???), also the camber is messed up on my wheels to(they sit like bmw wheels, -ve camber), and awful rubbing noises as a result, plus abs light on!!!! the camber is prob due to the BOLTs between my shocks and hub, as they are too small and had to be tightened very harshly to stop play...............These came with my gmax kit...where can i get replacements from????

THats all i can remember right now, anyways to the point.

Can anyone in LONDON point me in the direction of a "qualified" vw mechanic who will know exactly whats wrong with it, bearing in mind that money is fastly becoming an issue.

THanks guys, hope i havent bored you too much with this fastly becoming story book.

You'll need to seek advice from a body repair centre to make sure the chassis is straight. If your engine doesn't sit straight it could be a badly fitted or damaged engine mount or bent x-member or even bent chassis leg.

Get your replacement bolts from VW - they're cheap enough.

The suspension will need 4-wheel aligning to correct the camber. Do not do this until the other problems are completely sorted.

cheers steve, yeh i had the rear engine mount replaced, the mechanics ddnt know what to do though, im guessing they all got in and forced it back to re mount it.

Nice c in ur pic btw. My mate, whos on this forum amit d60 has a black g60 as well.

check that its sitting on all three mounts correctly (front,gearbox and rear)

check there are no metal shaving on the top of mounts , this indicates if the mount is tight

khurrado, sorry to hear about this... can't you go back to the 'qualified' mechanic that has taken your cash and persuade him (with a sledge hammer if need be!) to put it right and use the parts that you supplied him with. At the end of the day he has charged you for a service that you haven't received!!!

Try Danny @ MCM his number is 01483 424815... he's normally very busy so it's gen best to call first thing or late in the day (he's norm there till 6) He was recomended to me by another C owner that works for GSF. They're based in Millford just up the A3 past Guildford - bit of a trek but def worth it as they really do know what they're doing... (it's also right next door to Millford train station so you can get home after you drop your car off)

Good luck

Thats a good reason to always go thru insurance for this kind of work as if there is anything else not spotted to start with then they will have to fix that also as they have agreed to fix the car... good luck getting it sorted mate, like Steve says, get it to a decent body repair centre with jig etc..

cheers guys, i would but the pockets got a hole in it. Also the mechanic dented my roof in 2 places. And put 6 scratches on the car, but he wont accept responsibility, or threats. What can u do????

Im just gna wait 2 months till i save up and change the sub frame corss member, all bushess incl gears, both driveshafts, wishbones, engine mounts, front bumper, de dent roof and back bumper, fix abs probs, realign engine, tracking......................etc etc etc....the reason i tried a cheap mechanic.

This guy sounds like a f'kin nighmare... name and shame him on all the forums to a) lose him future business and b) to stop him killing someone with his dodgy work

the camber on my car is on full -ve. And my mechanic tells me he cant fix it any other way, and he tightened the bolt conn shock and hub as far back as possible, as he does not know how to adjust it.

The cars barely drivable, how can i do it myself. Can anyone tell me..