Sign in to follow this  
G-Lader

Spacers - G60

Think the standard offset on BBS C alloys is about 33-35 and Id like to stick them out in the arches to about 25..........r the cheap Euro or GSF spacer's ok qaulity wise as they seem pretty good value.

10mm s/be ok with standard bolts I guess.......any info would be very appreciated

Cheers

The only problem with 10mm spacers is that the wheels will no longer be supported on the hub by the lip that they locate on.

This puts excess strain on the wheel bolts. It's ok, but far from ideal. Really you need hubcentric spacers. I have (I think) 35 offset wheels and to clear my Brembo Brakes and to fill out the arches I bought 20mm hubcentric spacers from Awesome GTI at £45 per set then had 5mm taken off by a reputable metal turning company. This is much safer than using cheap shimms that you can by from the various motor factors.

Also for anything more than 5mm spacers you will need to buy longer wheel nuts than standard otherwise they won't screw in enough and you really are going to get overtaken by your own wheels!!!!!!!!

Finally if you do use 15mm hubcentric (you definatly could not take hubcentric spacers down to 10mm) you will need to roll the rear arches. I have to have it done on mine, even using FK silverline plus coilovers as it starts to cut into the tyres a bit.

Eurrggh GSF/Euro's spacers are crap, wouldnt risk using anything more than 3mm!!

Blue Joe did you know that FK do hubcentric spacers in 15mm, possibly even thinner, they do lots of different sizes.

I got my 15mm ones from the 'Performance Driven' website

Well you see the issue I had with Awesome was that I actually ordered 15mm but they buggered up my entire £850 order and that was just one of the C**k ups!

Andy T, they list 'em, but you try getting hold of any... :|

I had to get my 11mm ones custom made to fit only my Borbet C wheels and stay hubcentric... (they act as the spiggot ring as well as the spacer! ;) 8) )

Quite a while ago when I got mine, cant really remember how long it took..... but one thing's for sure they are frigging too expensive!!!

wouldnt 10mm been ok????

nah, I wanted more than 0.5mm clearance between the inside of my wheel spokes and the brembo calipers! :lol: 1.5mm is a bit more respectable! 8)

The problem is that the central shaft of the hub (the bit wot makes the original hub centric) sticks out by about 8mm from the mounting face + the nut on the end. That means that anything under around 13mm can't be made hubcentric with OE wheels as they will have a VERY small mounting area for the central shaft to connect onto the new mounting face of the spacer. This would mean that it won't take the weight and will be more a danger than a help... :|

I got around the problem 'cos my Borbets need Spiggot rings to fit the G60 properly. I designed a set of spacers which also acted as the spiggot rings meaning that they could be 11mm (or anything I wanted from 0mm upwards ;) ) without any danger of the central shaft being too thin to take the stresses placed on it... 16VG60 got my original set machined up for me, although I have since had another set made up as well by a mate at a local engineering shop who did it for a favour he owed me... 8)

I was thinking of putting the orig. BBS back on 4 shows but I tried them on and thought they did not look a patch on the modernline's I have on there at the moment.

Thinking of going down the 17" RC route so it raises the car a little and fills the gap between tyre and arch without having to lower on the c/overs more (to avoid exhaust contact with rear beam), it will also stop the spoiler catching road bumps!

may just buy 5 RC's to avoid any supply issues in the future......

nah, I wanted more than 0.5mm clearance between the inside of my wheel spokes and the brembo calipers! :lol: 1.5mm is a bit more respectable! 8)

Precision Engineering or what! You don't work in nanotechnology do you???

:wink:

Andy T, if you'd have seen just HOW close the caliper was to the inside edge of the spokes, you'd have wanted some more clearance too! :lol: Ask anyone who saw the car at Inters last year just HOW close they were... ;) The extra 1mm clearance makes one hell of a difference to my confidence!

why tho? its one argument i cant understand. do you think your wheels are going to just move 1mm towards the caliper? ar they suddenyl going to melt some and touch it?

.5mm is a gap and itll stay the same all day every day IMO

As it is tho, i like your idea ont he speacers and i guess im in the same boat as my wheels aint standard either and too require spigot rimgs.

do you think you could get a set made up for me too ?

Cheers

PM if more appropriate :)

Wouldn't the caliper and wheel expand when they get hot and close the 0.5mm gap?

I've seen some brembos behind rims that had about 0.5mm clearance and all the paint was worn off the caliper....so Henny is right to space them out.

you also get grit, brake dust, road salt and other crud building up on the backs of the spokes and on the caliper as well (as Kev rightly points out) as expansion of both wheels and calipers during heavy braking (which I planned on doing lots of, hence the calipers! :lol:)...

I probably would have been fine with 0.5mm clearance, but I felt it was safer to have 1.5mm and as I had to get custom spacers anyway, it didn't cost me any more for the extra peace of mind... 8)

dubster82, what spacing do you need, and what is the inside diameter of the wheels center (the outer diameter of the spiggot ring) PM me the details and I'll ask my mate and see what he'll charge for a set... 8)

I've seen some brembos behind rims that had about 0.5mm clearance and all the paint was worn off the caliper....so Henny is right to space them out.

:shock:

Andy T, if you'd have seen just HOW close the caliper was to the inside edge of the spokes, you'd have wanted some more clearance too! :lol: Ask anyone who saw the car at Inters last year just HOW close they were... ;) The extra 1mm clearance makes one hell of a difference to my confidence!

Totally agree, you've got the expansion of the wheels/brake setup, wheel flex under load, brake pad thickness, tolerances, etc. etc. !

Flex under load? Yup, especially when you're planning on lobbing the car into corners like this... ;) :lol:

I think that's the first time I've seen a C on 3 wheels!

Yeah wheels do flex under load, especially when they've absorbed a lot of heat from the brakes.

Is that Curborough Henny? I've seen a Ferrari 360 go round that track and it was a joke! The car is just too big for such a small track, LOL!

Kev, yup, that's Curborough... and I intend to do the same again this year in the Grey G60! :lol: Expect more 3 wheeled action! :D 8)

Dubster, it's 'cos he's normally in the driving seat when it's on 3 wheels! ;) :lol: