kebabman

Lambda sensor

Well cleared the fault codes a few times and they keep coming back so I've bought a GSF oxygen sensor. I've got access to a pit fortunately, has anyone got any tips on replacing it? I've not done one before but know where abouts it is....is there an easy way to feed the wire back to the ecu(if that's where it goes?) ?

Cheers :)

The wires only go to the engine mount on the drivers side IIRC. you will probably have to cut the plug off the old one and splice the wires. They should have waterproof connectors if not, try a invent some way of stopping water getting in.

I think its about 24/25 mm to undo and you will need a spanner, not a socket.

Gavin

Be sure to solder the joints & not crimp them. Easier to unplug the sensor wiring from the engine mount, remove the sensor from the CAT & do the soldering on a bench (or in your kitchen like I usually do! )

Here's a piccy of where the wiring plugs into the car - hopefully your wiring won't look quite as dodgy as mine currently does.

GSF lambda sensor came complete with approprate plug and heat wrap, and included a couple of ties and a small sachey of copper grease. Pretty pleased with that for £44! Anyway, cheers for the advice lads, and for future reference of others my '94 VR required a 22mm spanner to remove the lambda ;)

It runs smoother at idle, but that might be the fuel filter as I changed that at the same time. Was hoping for a small increase in economy but doesn't seem to have happened... :roll:

Being honest, the only real difference when driving is the lack of a fault code on VAG-COM. :lol:

GSF seem cheaper than those people, on that link they want £74.03 for a direct replacement item, the GSF version (also no cutting required) is £44.50, all be it not made by Bosch. ;)