Sign in to follow this  
golfg60

Excess play in steering column

Hi chaps,

My steering wheel seems too loose. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the column adjuster in the car or something more serious. Is there anyway to check the steering wheel hight adjustment?

Cheers

Tom

loose in which direction?

• Will the wheel pull towards you/push away from you?[/*:m:2afc9]
  • Does it move in a straight line up and down?[/*:m:2afc9]
  • Does it move in a straight line side to side?[/*:m:2afc9]

If it just feels "vague" then move the adjuster up or down a notch and see if that cures it (yes, it'll feel weird 'cos you won't be used to that position of the wheel, but you'll be able to tell if it's cured the problem.) If that does cure it, there's a solution on here involving gluing a coin onto the mechanism... (I kid you not, apparently it works a treat! 8) )

*edit* In fact, the repair details are HERE! 8)

It moves from side to side and up and down in all notches of the adjustment. Where abouts should this coin be glued?

Cheers

Tom

Have you got an after market wheel on your car? Sounds like the nut is loose which holds the wheel on... ;)

Coin info was added to last post, although it now sounds like it's not what your problem is... ;)

It is an aftermarket wheel although this seems to be secure. It feels like the whole thing is moving (sorry for the lack of technical words) and by "thing" i mean the adjustable section forward...very strange!!

could be that the steering column isn't attached to it's mounts properly... You'd need to get under the dash and under all of the covers to check that the bolts are in tight...

I had this problem with my golf (without height adjustment) and it turned out that the bolts were loose. Made a big difference to the way the car felt on the road without the steering wheel moving about all over the place!

Yeah all my VWs (MK1s, 2s and VR) have all suffered with wobbly columns that clonk over certain bumps etc. No garage could ever find the cause.

Which bolts are we talking Geo?