Sign in to follow this  
Banana Man

Really annoying problem

Hiya folks!

Since I ve changed my alternator I ve had a really annoying problem, vacuum pressure drops to 2hg's at idle ( should be 15-17hg's) as if theres a vacuum leak somewhere and the car stalls out and wont idle, it makes driving it almost impossible as it stalls at junctions and so forth quite embarrasing really!!! The car is absolutely fine when accelerating on boost, it only happens when it's at idle and slight acceleration. I ve changed the vacuum lines ( ecu, fpr) I've tried another ecu on it and also changed the fpr and isv the only things on the vacuum system I haven't changed is the pipe from inlet to servo and the servo itself. It's also intermitant as one day its fine and then the next thing I know it's acting up again :roll: Has anyone else encountered this one??

you've not snapped off or cracked one of the 2 plugs on the servo valve have you? Did this on mine and had similar problems to those you describe... :|

I ve finally fixed the problem today bit of an odd one really it was the main earth from the battery to the gearbox bracket that was the culprit which I found a bit starange as it was an intermitant fault but I spoke to a few mechanics today and they all said it would definately be an earthing problem somewhere, so I just changed that and there was an instant improvement :D

Got a new problem now some f*cker has swiped my rear numberplate recess along with the numberplate, f*ck knows why because they broke it leaving me with just the bottom bit that curves round the bottom of the bootlid as it was shut :roll: I tried to get a new one but ECP are out of stock and the dealers are really expensive, so on the look out for a smooth recess now but cant find any suppliers for them.

Been a shite week really!!!!!!! :roll:

Hiya folks!

Since I ve changed my alternator I ve had a really annoying problem, vacuum pressure drops to 2hg's at idle ( should be 15-17hg's) as if theres a vacuum leak somewhere and the car stalls out and wont idle, it makes driving it almost impossible as it stalls at junctions and so forth quite embarrasing really!!! The car is absolutely fine when accelerating on boost, it only happens when it's at idle and slight acceleration. I ve changed the vacuum lines ( ecu, fpr) I've tried another ecu on it and also changed the fpr and isv the only things on the vacuum system I haven't changed is the pipe from inlet to servo and the servo itself. It's also intermitant as one day its fine and then the next thing I know it's acting up again :roll: Has anyone else encountered this one??

i seem to remember telling you to check this a few days ago... :wink:

Aye that you did sir, I tested the earth leads to the head which you had suspicions about but they tested fine then I went onto the leads from the ecu to neg batt terminal they tested ok and then tested the earth strap from batt terminal to back of battery and then onto gearbox and there was a little more resistance than I liked so just bought a pair of new ones and hey presto problem solved!!

I know it's a effing pain in the arse!! they took my bloody numberplzate as well thats another £15 down the drain just as well I have a new set waiting to go on :)