Sign in to follow this  
awigman

tv screens wire up. No Sound??

Hi guys please please help me. I bought these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Track=true

They only have 1 audio phono lead coming out of it but i need to wire it up to my tv tuner ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWN:IT ) and dvd player which has both left and right audio inputs. I get the picture alright but no sound! Im not very electrically minded so have no idea what to do! Can anybody help me out please?

andy

erm, they've only got one phono cable 'cos that the VIDEO input to the screens... :|

In a normal TV system, you should have a pair of phono cables (red and white) from the TV tuner connected into your head unit, and a yellow one into your screens to give the picture. The TV tuner you have has a built in FM transmitter so that you can tune your car radio into 88-89mhz and pick up the TV's sound through your car radio. You can also plug the DVD player into the input labeled CD/AVinput with a twin phono to 3.5mm headphone jack. This will then allow you to listen to the DVD through the same radio channel.

If you haven't got a head unit in your car, you need to get one as there's no amplifiers anywhere in the kit you've got so far...

From what I can tell, the TV's are mono, thus only have one audio input. The usual convention is to use the left channel (white connector) as the mono channel and just don't use the other one.

What I don't quite understand is why you'd be plugging audio into a video screen... surely that's what the head unit and/or headphones are for?

Ohh ok, I gotcha now Henny I thought the screens had a little built in mono speaker or somesuch.

Yup, you can have video and audio on phono connectors.

Yellow = Video

White = Left audio

Red = Right audio

;)

Dinkus, you're right... judging by the pics on the TV screen ebay auction page, the screens DO have a mono speaker built in, but you wouldn't want to use 'em 'cos they'll be crap.

Dinkus, you're right... judging by the pics on the TV screen ebay auction page, the screens DO have a mono speaker built in, but you wouldn't want to use 'em 'cos they'll be crap.

And yet, they have strangely coloured the phono's yellow and red :?

Grumble grumble, no respect for standards, grumble grumble, composhite video, grumble grumble

:lol: yeah, I get exactly what you're on about Dinkus... [/broadcast engineer] ;)

:lol: yeah, I get exactly what you're on about Dinkus... [/broadcast engineer] ;)

:lol: Having said that, I did overhear a conversation in Dixons the other day where the sales monkey was trying to flog the innocent punter some SCART leads.

"Do you want these ones, or do you want the good ones?"

"Err, what's the difference?"

"Well these ones are super oxygen free uni-directional Martian copper refined in the Earth's core and they have much better connectors on them"

"Err how much are they?"

"Well the normal ones are £9.99 (!!!!??!?!?!?!) and these ones are £29.99"

"Well am I going to notice the difference?"

"Oh yes, definitely, you'll get a much better picture"

"Oh ok, well I'll have those then"

:roll: Ok, fair enough, they probably are better quality connectors, but it's only relevant if you're going to be plugging the thing a lot, which I can guarantee you won't. If you're the kind of person that needs to ask if they're going to notice the difference in picture quality, then you won't. Promise. Not unless you like watching blue only signals on your waveform monitor :roll:

Either way, the 50p connector that comes with your TV/VCR/DVD player will be more than up to the job of showing your crappily compressed picture and if it's not good enough for you (and some of the connectors are sometimes a crock-o-poo) then a £9.99 one will be more than up to the job.

[/rant]

I wasnt to sure about the fm modulator wire.. where would i connect this wire to the ones coming out the back of my headunit? I tried using only the white connecter but still no sound, and also just the red one...

fm modulator wire is an aerial so you don't connect it to anything... make sure it runs near to the normal car's aerial cable though... ;)

Did this kit not come with any instructions? :?

slighty OT, but does anyone else think that SCART connectors are the biggest bunch of sh1te going? they are IMPOSSIBLE to pug in without being able to physically see the connector and socket.

Hateful things.

I can't get any sound out of my in car TV either, not bothered to work it out yet though.

TV and car pish, unless your a taxi driver, into camping or always sitting in your car not going anywhere, why the hell put a TV in your car.

so you can watch TV, when you're in your car. simple as that.
:evil:

may car is for driving, i do the tv at home.

peolpe do different things with their cars, some of which totally baffles me too, but everyone's different.

i only bought the pioneer tv tuner to allow me to plug in the dvd changer, ps2 and hks engine status monitor :lol: as it was cheaper than getting the aux in adapter

also comes in handy if i drive my mates to chester to grab a domino's pizza or eating my lunch in the car at work

they are also quite effective for keeping kids entertained on long jouneys (allthough kids are'nt allowed in my car)

hummm, SCART.... Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs

A French electronics connector standard? Says it all really... :roll: :pukeright: Hateful things which do everything they should do badly... [/highhorse]

HENRY - So do i not need to connect any wires to be able to tune in to 88.0 fm via my radio to listen to the tv tuner?