Sign in to follow this  
David Winter

Rear ride height sorted!

As some of you will remember from other threads I have not been happy with the ride height of my VR6 since I had Eibach springs fitted. It sat slightly lower at the back than the front and I was always scrapeing the cat shield on speed humps. All I ever wanted was a slight drop as I want the car to be standard looking. Anyway after surfing tons of threads on this forum and doing some research of my own the solution was in the koni top adjustable ON THE CAR shocks as these have a 5 groove height adjust as aposed to just two positions.

Anyway here are some photos.

Nice, but bin the eibach springs and get H&Rs to go with your T/a's. I have the above with eibachs and the ride is pretty harsh, plus still sits too low at the back.

Agreed, I think even with the Koni on the highest notch and with the Eibachs, the ride is still low at the back. With the H&Rs on the VR, the ride height is exactly 61.5 cm from ground to arch all round with the rear konis on the centre notch.

Ah. But... Ive done the work and yes I would have got H&Rs if money was no object but I thought as I already have eibachs I would try them. Ride is much better with Konis and dont forget Im on 15s, Anyway if i Can get the rest of the poxy photos to download youll se what I mean

By the way. I dug my oe springs out of the shed to compare with my Eibachs. More than 30mm diference Id say. no wonder it sat down low at the back! :roll:

They are lowering springs, they should be 30mm lower, whats why you need to fit the shorter dampers to compliment them...

The problem with Eibachs on a Corrado is that they never give a consistent front to back ride hight unless you make up for it with a height adjustment like you have with the Koni's

*mod edit - removed dead pic posts for you... 8) *

Looks good... nice work! 8)

p.s. the length of the uncompressed spring DOES NOT indicate the drop you'll get as the springs will have different strengths so will compress differently... ;) A higher poundage spring can be almost half the uncompressed length of a lesser spring, but may make the car sit higher than the lesser spring... :|

As some of you will remember from other threads I have not been happy with the ride height of my VR6 since I had Eibach springs fitted. It sat slightly lower at the back than the front and I was always scrapeing the cat shield on speed humps. All I ever wanted was a slight drop as I want the car to be standard looking. Anyway after surfing tons of threads on this forum and doing some research of my own the solution was in the koni top adjustable ON THE CAR shocks as these have a 5 groove height adjust as aposed to just two positions.

Anyway here are some photos.

Glad to see things are better now David.

Interesting to see the 'TA' rear dampers as they have 5 grooves, the adjustable off the car koni versions are the same but with 3 grooves, but the grooves are still as far apart! - you obviously just get more room for tweaking with the TA versions.

BTW, I still need the front lower on my 16v with the eibachs, so I'm going to get some front lowering caps to try to loose a few more mm from there, possibly due to the 16v being a fair bit lighter at the front than the VR.

David.

Cheers. I must admit by doing the work myself I now have a lot better understanding of how it all works and that you cant get away with oe dampers.Also the drongos who I got to lower it originally had assembled the right strut incorrectly :roll: And they had failed to cut down the bump stops. This is the results. This is before I cut down the new ones by the way. I also replaced the mount rubbers as these had compressed a bit.

Looks to be a very clean car indeed.

Well done for sorting the suspension.

You will definitely prefer the ride with the Konis as they actually have the damping strength to control the Eibachs...unlike the standard dampers.