Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

VERY Lumpy G60

Would/could a jammed ISV cause the engine to cut out while moving??

I dont think s not while moving but on idle and when you come to halt at a junction or whatever it could cause that. When you cold start the engine can you hear the isv sucking in air? It should permantly hum or buz when the ignition is on. If its not drawing enough air in then it will kill the engine. When the car starts to hunt you should be able to hear the isv opening and closing!

The gearbox earth should be from the gearbox support bar to a mounting point behind the battery and then from that point straight to the negative terminal on the batt. You should also have an earth strap from the back right of the rocker cover to the coil. And the 3 earths from the engine to ecu should be on the coolant flange bolt on the side of the head.

There is a little grub screw in the isv which can be adjusted to let in more air or restrict air it is a small torx crew head, but if you adjust it remember to carefully count the turns you do. If you open it too much you will lose boost pressure or if you restrict it too much the car will just die!

Sounds to me like a dizzy fault tbh my old gti had a similar fault where it would cut out at any given time and that turned out to be dizzy related. They're £70 from ecp and theres also quite a few g60's being broken at the moment so you could pick one up quitye cheap just to try or if you have a good mate with a G60 local to you see if you could try theirs as timing up a G60 is a piece of piss 10 min job

Cheers Ant, I can here the ISV but it's not as noisy as some other G60 ones I have heard, always been like that tho...

I have an Earth from the TB to Coil, the ones on the side of the head are fine, not sure about the gearbox one... where is the main engine earth??

It started cutting out at idle but got worse and did it driving along a few times, so maybe is the dizzy...

I have a mate with one i can swap but his is the early kind and Stevemac also has one of these new for sale fairly cheap... do you know if the early ones fit the late G60 engines?? - can't think what would be different, they are both BOSCH and HS plug is the same - Unless they physically don't fit?

All the G60 dizzy's are the same 037 905 237 x I cant remember the bosch number off the top of my head .

The main engine earth is the earth from gearbox to to negative terminal!!

Just try it and see!!

Is the fault permanant now or is it intermittant? Its always harder top diagnose when it's intermittant.

Still intermittent but more and more regular, started it this morning to get it off the drive so my dad could get his bike out the garage, idles for a couple of mine fine and i drove it off and parked it accross the road, sat in for another couple of mins and reved it a bit, then started idling rough and then stalls, restarted ok once but still rough, stalled after 1 min then would not start after that...

According to ETKA there a 3 different dizzy's for the G60 but that is the part number I need....

On my new copy of etka there is only one dizzy listed and thats the part number gave ya a few posts up!

Is it just running rough or is it dropping a cylinder when it's been running for a while?

Just after I changed the alternator I had a very similar problem I had the same intermittent fault car would just start running like a pig and stall at junctions and if you were off boost driving along on say quarter throttle is was very jerky and stuttering, but on WOT it was perfectly fine. I changed the main earth from the gearbox to the battery negative and that cured it.

If you haven't already done so Steve get yourself down to the dealers or motor factors and get yourself a new earth cable from gearbox to negative I bought 2x12" leads from a motor factors as my dealer didn't have the earth cable in stock, it came to £2 and cured my problem. If you change the cheap parts first and it doesn't cure it theres no great loss. I bank on it being either the distibuter or a bad earth.

Still not sure, bought some Draper HT testers at lunchtime...

Got some new earth cables ready to go on but running a jump lead from the neg to the GB didn't seem to help....

When i was in the motor factors I got them to look up the dizzy, they also listed 3 for the PG engine (??) and the price was stupid - twice as much as VW but they also list an Ignition module - what is this, it's only £20 and I wondered if it was the Hall Sender and was actually replaceable, just one of those bits VW don't sell seperatly??

Any updates on this yet? I had my lamda changed on Friday and the car ran great on Friday and on a spirited drive on saturday but on the way home it started running lumpy, no throttle response, foot to the floor in 4th at 2,000rpm and the revs just creapt up - lots of noise but very little acceleration until about 4,000 but even then it was far from smooth. Running a bit like it was when the vacuum hose was the incorrect length but with less power id say.

Its just one thing after another, getting really pissed off with my 'dream' car which is fast turning into a nightmare!

Forgot to mention; replaced the dizzy cap when i got the car about 8 months ago and the idle is now dipping at junctions etc intermittantly too.