Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

genesis profile 4

right got the profile four in sounding lovely im just trying to get it set up just right should i have the bass turned doen to 0 on the nakamichi headunit and adjust the gain on the amp as i dont seem to be getting a good range of bass from my infinity components i know there not as good as focals but hey i was restricted financially at the time! the amp came with a load of simms little coloured things with lots of legs they are obviously all different for different applications but nowhere in the manual does it tell me what the different colours do.

lastly what size hole do the focals require as i had my audioscapes cut for 140mm for the infinities but now maybe thinking i might have to go for the focals having said that (thinks out loud :roll: ) James at audioscape said the infinities were actually a very good speaker any input into my audio situation would be greatfully received! :D

henny.........

hi pass filter lets only the hi frequencies through, so you'd turn that on for speakers which you don't want any bass going to.

Lo pass filter lets only the low frequencies through, so you'd turn that on for subs.

Depending on what speakers you're running off the amp depends on what frequency range you want putting through to the speakers...

For a set of full range (normal multi cone speakers) or even a component set with another seperate crossover, I'd turn on the hi pass and set it to around a third to knock out the bass which they won't handle very well. For a sub, turn on the low pass and have a play until you're happy with the amount of bass you get...

The most basic thing is not to use your gain as a volume button, it distorts and can damage both amp & speaker.

To set the gain, turn up the head unit as loud as you will ever want it, (I suggest not much more than half volume) then from the minimum gain, increase slowly until the sound distorts, then turn it back down a tiny bit. As a rule, you shouldn't ever use more than 3/4 gain, as this sends a dirty signal to the speaker, causing 'clipping' or 'distortion'.