Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Changing the labda probe

Does anyone know what size spanner I'll need to change the lambda sensor on a VR? Also any tips to make it easier, tried with an adjustable spanner but couldn't get enough room to move. Thanks.

Is it bigger than a 19mm then? I can't remember to be honest, when I did mine I just rifled through the box of tools until I found a spanner that fitted, but didn't make a mental note of the size. 21 or 22mm rings a bell for some reason though.

It is a bit of squeeze down there unfortunately, just take your time and make sure the wires don't twist round on themselves and damage the heat resistant sheathing.....you'll see what I mean.

Changed mine last week and I used a 22mm for the job,

Try to get hold of some Roast-off-rust by Wurth, (got this from VW) spray and allow to penetrate for about 15-mins it came off easy, it is very tight down there

hope this helps

D.

I don't know if it's applicable to VW probes or not but I read somewhere that they don't like oil, so I wore rubber gloves! I can't see how that would affect them given they're outside amongst the crud...but I avoided touching any part of the probe with skin none the less....just in case!

The precious metals don't like unburnt fuel and oil on them. Not sure what it does, not being a research chemist. They also don't like silicon. so be careful if using that on gaskets in the exhaust system.

All the special sockets on Snap Ons site are 22mm so I guess that'll be the size like dav says.

Gavin

Thanks for that, didn't get a chance this weekend as I've now got a coolant leak near the thermostat which I couldn't find, but will have a go soon.

Defo a 22mm spanner, although my probes apeared to be 22.1mm as it wouldn't quite fit, but 23mm was way too big, so I used a file and modified the spanner slightly :lol: ...that's probably just my cheap ass spanner though ;)

Mine came out without too much persuasion but I did give it a good soak with plusGas before hand.

Tips: I found the best angle to put the spanner at was about 4 O'clock (looking up towards the front of the car from underneath), with the spanner angled down the side of the exhaust. It's tight, but it gives you just enough leaverage to get it loose so you can remove it by hand.

The plug fits into a bracket next to the driverside engine mount, unplug the ECU side (plug with spring clips) from above then tap the lambda plug out with a small hammer, it slides out towards the wheel side. Then just a case of following the wire back to the lambda and cutting the cable tie that holds the wire out of the way. While you're at it it's a good idea to check the state of the wires going into the top plug, one of mine has almost worn through and needed re-soldering (probably that not the lambda that was broken actually, 44.50 well spent there :p)

Remember to copper grease up the thread on the new one, good luck, it's not a hard job just fiddly. :)

Defo a 22mm spanner, although my probes apeared to be 22.1mm as it wouldn't quite fit, but 23mm was way too big, so I used a file and modified the spanner slightly ...that's probably just my cheap ass spanner though

Sure it wasn't 7/8"?

Nah....why would ze Germans use imperial measurements? Especially when every other bolt on the car is metric! I'm sticking with the 'cheap ass spanner' explanation. :lol: