Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Erratic idle/revs + drop in MPG- help!

Basically the car has been idling a bit up and down and the revs are a bit up and down when changing in low gears. It's not terrible, just annoying. Also there's been a significant drop in MPG. Normally get around 30 on the way home- I'm now lucky to get 23-24 :(

Lambda?

Any ideas? Anyone with VAGCOM in Kent? :?

Cheers!

Looks like I'll be taking it along to Volksline in Canterbury- something's definately changed with the car.

You can check the lambda with a high impeadance voltmeter. Gunsons do a special car one and Maplins sell it if you've got a store near you?

Basically when the engine is hot and running, you prod the meter's red probe into the white wire and the black probe to ground. If the voltage fluctuates rapidly, it's working. If stuck on 0.45V it's dead.

The lambda connection is on the rear engine mount.

A dead MAF sensor can also cause the symptoms you describe and also worn plugs.

Thanks Kev.

Just unplugged the MAF and the car kept running :(

i don't think that matters too much as first thought.............mine idles nice and sweet and still runs when i disconnect it too

Hmmm, thought that meant the MAF was knackered :?

I tried it a few months ago (before cleaning the ISV) and the car just died when I unplugged it, whereas now it just carries on running.

Well, I'm a bit of a muppet :roll: I didn't leave the MAF unplugged long enough earlier. Tried again when I got home and the engine died after leaving it unplugged a bit longer.

So, not the MAF I guess. Think I'll have to give the lambda a test as Kev suggested. What's the best way to tackle this? Get the front up on axle stands? How much will one of these voltmeters set me back?

Ta!

No need to jack it up, you can just lean over the engine and get to the lambda wiring OK. Watch your arms on the hot manifold though!

A meter is around £15 to £20, or up to double for a really good one. Halfords sell em aswell I think.

ANDY. just out of interest what wire was it and where did it go, ive got a similar problem all the wire have been cut for some reason. . . . .

lexxuss, it's one of the wires on top of the rear engine mount. Can't tell exactly which one, because they've done a really good job of fixing it, and covered it in silicone sealant. Sorry I can't be more exact!

The car feels like new now it's fixed :D

thanx for the reply andy that helps me a bit, got a bently on the way so hopefuly i'll be able to find a full wirng diagram in there.