Sign in to follow this  
ryan

8 Valver Induction

Right, was about to service my little 8 valver this weekend and whilst out working on which parts I ought to look at I noticed that the air filter needs to be replaced. This lead me onto the question of should I upgrade the standard filter.

K&N don’t seem to do a 57i induction kit for an 8 valver, but they do a replacement panel filter that will fit into my current air box.

In fact its this one……

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/ ... od=33-2029

This seems to coat about £40ish quid from most places but is it worth doing ?

Will I notice the difference? I had a 57i kit on my BMW 320i a few years back and it made a massive difference, it responded better, sounded mad and generally added something to driving although I can’t put my finger on what.

As K&N don’t do a full induction kit, is it worth me looking at another manufacturer? In fact, does any one know if there is an induction kit for a 8 valve C out there anywhere?

Any help would be good…

Ryan

The only commercially available induction kit for k-jetronic is made by Pipercross - AFAIK we keep them in stock, although I don't know the price.

The only commercially available induction kit for k-jetronic is made by Pipercross - AFAIK we keep them in stock, although I don't know the price.

think the 8valver he has........doesn't have k-jet :wink:

stick the k&n in and remove the snorkle in the front of your air box,

i dont think you`ll notice much of a difference apart from maybe little sharper response, an induction type noise and it`ll sound a bit faster if you get what i mean

do a search for drilled airbox too that`ll turn up some reading for you

HTH

ben

ive got a 2.0 8v with a k+n induction kit....??? your engine should be a mk3 golf gti engine...whenever i buy engine parts of rmine i just say its a golf gti because alot of places (including my local vw main dealer) dont have the 8valvers on their systems cos they only produced just over 200 of them :oops: ...i found that when i put my k+n on there was an improvment in performance(but then so is there when i go downhill with the wind behind me!) and like already said it just improves the driving experience (much needed) just by sounding a bit more grunty. :roll:

p.s...the 2.0 8v does have k-jetronic as far as i know! :confused4:

k-jetronic is mechanical :wink: ............the 8v Golf GTI hasn't been k-jet since 88......thats when they went digi-fant and the mk3 8v is SIMOS and some other system that escapes me from just now

and it says on the corrado club of GB's website on the spec page for the 2.0 8v ...(id put a link but as well as not being mechanical i aint very pc minded either!!)..unless i got sold a wrongun :scratch:

If its K-jet there should be fuel lines running from the top of the airbox, where the flap inside moves with the air flow and changes the fuel accordingly.

Had a pipercross on a 8v ('90 digifant) golf and was very pleased with it. Excellent fit, cool noise and seemed to help the acceleration. Had a 4-1 manifold and exhaust, induction kit, and after the head was reconditioned it went from standard (112bhp i assume it started with) to 140bhp (rolling road).

Hmmmmm drilled air box……..K&N…….I like that………..I like that a lot.

Is it going to drastically reduce my MPG, I guess the more holes are drilled the more readily it can suck air, which in turn will mean more fuel is shoved in as well - is this right….I guess the more it reduces my MPG the faster I will be going !!

Also, would holes in the air box mean that it might reduce the expected life span of my engine. By being able to suck in air where it should not, i.e a tightly sealed air box with one inlet as opposed to one that is riddled with holes might not allow for the same level of filtration, I don’t want to suck up a rabbit from the side of the road and it bend my donky rench.

Any advice guys before I savage my engine with a hole saw and knacker it – if I can suss this out before the weekend I know what I will be doing first thing Saturday morning !!!

Pics of my 8 valver sitting in the work car park. Please excuse the state of her.....salt on the roads and a busy few weekends means a lack of polish!!!

very nice too..(likeing the silver and the engine looks like a low milage!)

..the reason i was askin for the engine pic is that theres a difference with my engine...can anyone spot it and tell me what it is?? (apart from the k+n)

i think they used two different types of engine in the 8v corrado.(they were getting rid of surplus golf engines)

you have a completely different design of inlet manifold... :|

weird uh?...my engine is the same as a 95 golf gti and his is from a 94 i think(i think there was a change in the engine halfway through the mk3?)...also the pipes and tanks look different

and it says on the corrado club of GB's website on the spec page for the 2.0 8v ...(id put a link but as well as not being mechanical i aint very pc minded either!!)..unless i got sold a wrongun :scratch:

and indeed it does state that the 2.0 8v and 16v were k-jetronic :roll: :D ......however the 2.0 16v was in fact K-Motronic and the 2.0 8v was whatever system the mk3 Golf GTI used(Simos and/or digifant)

hmmm..ok...can you shed any light on the difference between mine and ryans engines? :?: ..im getting more and more confused by the minute here!

hmmm..ok...can you shed any light on the difference between mine and ryans engines? :?: ..im getting more and more confused by the minute here!

i remember someone on the yahoo e-group (mark baker i think) when they were coming to changing their clutch that there were 2 or 3 different versions of the Golf GTI engine for his year......although i would imagine its more to do with the different injection systems..........not 100% sure on this but IIRC the digifant version came first then it changed to the Simos system and then changed again but i'm not sure to what

:scratch: cheers mate..

there were 2 or 3 different versions of the Golf GTI engine for his year......although i would imagine its more to do with the different injection systems

how do i find out what ive got then???? :confused4: