Sign in to follow this  
Riley

crunching into second gear

dont think its a synchro or anything as its only happening when im changing up from 1st and giving it some stick.

any ideas guys?

cheers,neil. :)

I'd suggest it's like me, gettin older by the day so it probably is the synchro. My valver is the same ('90), try some MT90 in it and live with the fact it needs a little longer to synchronise.

You could also try double de-clutching

check your engine mounts too... ;)

ahh! funny you say that m8!

there does seem to be a lot of 'engine trying to leave the bay' type moves going on. :lol:

how much are all new mounts,i reckon ill go for the new gear oil and mounts.

cheers guys,neil. 8)

solid front JMR mount is about £70 inc delivery, rears are £10.95 for the gearbox and £68 for the rear engine from Euro... 8)

This is a very common VW problem it used to happen my old golf GTI 8v, mk2 diesel and mk3 turbodiesel. I always thought it was the syncro ring on 2nd gear getting worn but I never actually bothered getting it fixed on any of the cars so I don't know for sure.

PS: it never happens my current mk2 GTI 8v even though the front engine mount is completely knackered so I'm not sure if that would have any bearing on it.

cheers for your input m8. :D

mmmm,i dunno?

in the cab i know the second synch is dead,when its cold and you change into second from any other gear even at low revs it really crunches.

it seems diffarent in the c though,its only when winding it up in 1st and going into second trying to pull out the lever :lol:

down shifting from 3rd at highish rpm dosnt make it crunch?

not sommet i normally do mind,ive got a habit of double de clutching in normal everyday driving,found toe n heeling difficult at first in the c but ive got used to the pedals now. 8)

cheers guys,ill stop rambling on now!

neil.

Yeah it sounds similar to what my old GTI used to do. It never crunched on a downchange either, only when changing from 1st to 2nd when really pushing on. As I say I never tried to fix it so I'm not 100% sure that it was the syncro that was the problem but I'd say it more than likely is.

ok cheers m8,ill try the oil first as a hopefull cheap fix,then ill probably renew the mounts...

mmmm,seem to be wanting to renew a few things all of a sudden. :?

oh aye,i priced an oil filter up at my local gsf £15.

from the dealer,£6.99 :?

what the hell?

neil.