Sign in to follow this  
4stud

Wheel bearings

Are they expensive? easy to fit or do these have all kinds of cables running into them?

No cables mate. Rears are easyish. Do a search mate, there's loads of info.

yeah just found some info. Under an hour to do one front side? Find that a bit hard to believe.

I'm dreadin this but it has to be done. Got all the tools to do it so tomorow it's coming apart on the drive. Bet it snows/rains! Will take pics and write it up so others can have a step by step guide on how to do it proper (i hope).

Rears are easy, first side took me about 2 and a half hours (with tea breaks of course :lol:) because I didn't know what I was doing and took the carrier off before bashing the caliper off the disk, which made it a bitch to get off. Once I'd sussed that the other side only took an hour. I did strip two carrier bolts so it is definitely worth following hw100v's advice and getting some replacement bolts before you start! They're 8mm(?) allen heads I think...should've written it down sorry. Also another top tip from Gavin was to use the old grease caps, the new ones didn't fit properly.

I have a couple of pics from a VR change if you need them.

Haven't done the fronts sorry. Good luck ;)

done the rear in an hour very easy as vw have made it so witha clever design built in the discs be careful when taking caliper carrier off and dont over tighen can be costly if it snaps

Well i did it. Everything seems ok and works the same. Took me about 4-5 hours. Have pics if anyone needs them but please dont try this job without a fly press! Had to grind one of the old bearing inards off. Easy to get apart but not easy getting the old bearing out without a press.

4stud,

could you drop some pics, or do a how-to? I've been meaning to do bearings for a bit, and would appreciate it!

thanks,

deag.

Yep coming right up. Computer crashed and lost all my pics but i didnt delete them from the camera so still have em. Will start a new thread.