Sign in to follow this  
robster

Starting Noise

Hi all,

Just picked up a G60, and I love it. Always wanted one, this needs a little work on it but doing it myself. Hope you can help, here is the the facts:

1) When turing the ignition on without starting the engine there is a loud, heavy low pictched noise coming form under the bonnet (sounds like a lifting noise).

2) Possibly related to the master cylinder as when foot is placed on brake pedal you can feel the pedal raising and hardening.

3) Noise lasts for about 3-4 seconds

4) When key is turned to start engine this will happen all over again.

Brakes are fine and this is the only time you will hear this sound, when turning the key. Really annoying as it is very noticeable.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey Rob,

I had a noise like this which Im told was the fuel pump priming itself before start up and then its on constant when the engine is started. Although I hear it more under the car on the drivers side. Try opening the drivers door when idling and see if the noise is from around that side?

Have a read of this thread to see if it resembles ur problem?

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Welcome to the forum, what part of Ireland btw???

A little more insight into the problem, when I presss the brake pedal when this noise is occuring the noise changes somewhat which would make me think its a brake problem like mastercylinder or something. Will still have a look at the fuel pump this evening.

Cheers

Typically the TEVES 02 ABS control block will have to build up system pressure when you first start the car, if the car has been sitting over night this will take about 20 to 40 seconds and this is probably what you are hearing. Depending on the year of the G60 the fuel pump is either located in the gas tank or it has one in the gas tank and another under the right rear passengers seat so I doubt that would be it. If you left the heater on defrost it will also turn the rad fan on but I'm sure you would notice that.

Cheers, Dennis

Hi all,

Thanks for the tip, Had a look at that over the weekend and all couldn't find too much wrong. However when i turned on the iginition the noise did not sound but at the moment the car is up on blocks at the front as have cross member out as waiting on new on ( you know the one that rots all the time, holds rad and power steering line). Maybe this is having an effect on it, will have a look again when car is back together although I don't think it should as all is effected power steering and engine coolant/water. Can the brakes be bled on G60 with ABS? as it could be draing in air as cool rado was suggesting.