Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

Rear Brake Caliper Advice

Had the car in the local garage the other day for the pads to be changed all round just for a service - and i had had an issue with the hand brake being rubbish and sticking.

The pads were all changed for me - but when picking it up i was told the rear calipers gone and that is why the handbrake is not effective.

Looking on the forum the consensus is that the mk4 golf ones are the ones to have - but this needs a few mods - then the mk3 ones are recommended - but if i use mk3 golf calipers would i need to change the brake pads again?

Ideally i am looking for a solution where i can keep the existing brake pads. The pads are new but i think are just standard 16V pads [whatever they are].

Any advice apprecaited.

MKII (standard corrado), MKIII and MKIV calipers can all use the same rear brake pads... 8)

Thanks Henny - so if i get a mk3 callipers they should work fine without changes to anything?

And for mk4 callipers the hoses will need changing - but everything else is ok?

Just wanna double check before i spend the money 8)

yup...

MKIII are direct replacements

MKIV need a pair of brake pipes, but otherwise fit the same way... 8)

Supercharged, that's actually quite close to the setup I've been looking at for J-DUB's next incarnation... ;)

think 6 calipers and 2 drums...

Do the C&R / Goodridge hoses come with the banjo on them?

do I need a separate bolt to attach the banjos to the callipers? (looks like I need a bolt with a hole to pass the brake fluid into the calliper from the banjo)

Would ordinary mrk iv pipes do the job?

yip,(well, mine did)

nope,(should come with the pipes)

and nope (wrong thread on the car end of the pipe)

Ask C&R when you order them if they come with the banjo bolts, if they don't anymore then you'll need to buy a pair... they're not exactly expensive though! :lol: I bought the full kit from C&R (calipers and pipes) and got EVERYTHING needed to fit 'em to my Corrado. 8)

Its this bolt with the hole that attaches the banjos to the callipers that I need* 2, I can get braded lines made up locally if I can source these bolts, do the C&R lines come with these bolts? would they be on the existing rear callipers by any chance?

if you're getting the calipers second hand, then keep the banjo bolts that were fitted to them on the car you're getting them off.

If you're buying them brand new, then you'll have to ask for banjo bolts to suit or source them elsewhere... As I said above, they're not expensive... 8)

Just get Kit from C+R and say its a mk2-mk4 conversion kit you require.

some handbrake cables need modding but nothing that cant be done yourself.

some people have been known to get 2nd hand calipers and use brake lines that come with it.

I have done upgrade (not myself)and the handbrake is in a different planet always solid and tense.

The Brakes dont feel any better but just wont stick again (hopefully)

Calipers new are about £65 Plus vat from dealer if you haggle and the dealer up here didnt want an exchange.so you can refit if you sell on :-D

Does anyone know what handbrake cable mods may need doing to fit the mk4 calipers to a '94 corrado? I've got the brake pipe conversion kit on order so wondering if I need anything else.

Right, having just done this conversion AGAIN (this time to H-YYU) I can confirm the following:

You need:

A pair of MKIV rear calipers (duh! :lol: )

Standard Corrado rear disks (use the ones that are already fitted if they're good, if not buy rear wheel bearings too! ;) )

A pair of Goodridge MKII to MKIV conversion hoses (which DO come with washers AND banjo bolts)

A set of MKII, MKIII or MKIV rear pads (they'll all fit with no problems, I've now used all of these in them and they're fine)

Standard Corrado handbrake cables.

It's simply a case of swapping the calipers over and changing the flexy hoses... It REALLY IS that simple!!!! 8)

Thanks for that Henny, sounds like I've got all the bits required so hopefully it will be that simple. Doesn't always work out like that when I attempt it mind you. :roll: Looking forward to a half decent handbrake.

oh, you may also want to get new bolts which hold the calipers on as the old ones can get a little crappy with age...

Thanks. I ordered the disks and pagid fast road pads from GSF and they come with new thread-locked bolts to hold the calipers on.

dr_mat, yup, they do, but they still clog up and fail in the same way as the MKII ones did... the MKIV ones are a completely new mechanism which won't seize up for the reasons the old versions used to... 8)

yup, that's also true, but they do seize up and if they already have, what's the point in installing another set that may well do the same again when you can install the MKIV ones for a few quid more which won't suffer the same fate? ;) 8)

Right, having just done this conversion AGAIN (this time to H-YYU) I can confirm the following:

You need:

A pair of MKIV rear calipers (duh! :lol: )

Standard Corrado rear disks (use the ones that are already fitted if they're good, if not buy rear wheel bearings too! ;) )

A pair of Goodridge MKII to MKIV conversion hoses (which DO come with washers AND banjo bolts)

A set of MKII, MKIII or MKIV rear pads (they'll all fit with no problems, I've now used all of these in them and they're fine)

Standard Corrado handbrake cables.

It's simply a case of swapping the calipers over and changing the flexy hoses... It REALLY IS that simple!!!! 8)

Good info here Henny might be worth adding to the knowledge base?? I have some pics also if you want to add them in or perhaps you can take a few of your own when doing the job?

It might be worth mentioning the rear brake plates also as this seizing seems to be mainly associated with the older corrados I found my rear plates were totally knackered they almost fell off when I took off the hubs. It took over a week to get them in from a dealership! They would prob be quicker over in the UK but worth thinking about as it held me up on the last hurdle.

Was looking at my A3 rears (same as mrk V) yesterday and they look the same as the mrk ivs they may be slightly bigger but Id say you’d get a 256mm disk on them for a big rear upgrade. Haven’t a clue if they’d fit the C tho.