Sign in to follow this  
Dec

cleaning the isv!

I've read that soaking it in petrol is the best way to clean it?

But how much of the thing do you stick into the petrol and for how long? I wasn't too keen on soaking the electrical plug end of it into a flammible/explosive liquid :shock: :shock:

Cheers!! :wink: :wink:

The reason I was going for the petrol method was because I just changed the fuel filter and now have a spare jar of petrol left over anyway!! :) :)

I thought carb cleaner was too abrasive and might damage it?!?!

The best product to clean these parts is a product called Brake Cleaner, this is meant to be used on the braking system of cars. It is a great general use cleaner plus it leaves no chemical residue in the part. I spray some in one end of the ISV with my finger over the other end then swish it around and then let it out and do this over a few times. Fuel leaves a residue that can gum things up and it is flamable which isn't the best product to use to clean things. Brake clean will clean anything including grease & oil stains on your clothes or even your hands. It evaporates really quickly and doesn't usually stain or kill paint, give it a try.

Cheers, Dennis

Insane_VR6, Brake cleaner also containts known carcinogens, so using it to clean your skin isn't a very good idea... :| It is, as you say, bloody good for cleaning ISVs and other car parts though... 8)