Sign in to follow this  
Solitaire

Automatic Gearbox

Just bought a VR6 Auto

wondering if anyone else on the forum has one, or has driven one, and can help me out.

what could go wrong?, what kind of faults should i look out for? What MPG should i be getting (GETTING ABOUT 21!)

As far as i know my auto box is working perfectly, tho never having owned an Auto, i just want to check, am well accustomed to other corrado faults having previously owned one.

This car has covered 80K, full history, recent service including change of Gearbox oil

If you saw the car - you'd know why i bought an auto, could always change to a manual in the future!

I hope you have better automatic transmissions in Europe than we do in North America. These tranmissions here just don't seem to last and are commonly dying, I've never really understood why. In North America I would guess 1 out of every 1000 cars may be a standard but most are automatics so we have lots of these around. I would do a search on a place like Vortec and see if you can find any specific information.

I know a few people who have bought automatic Corrado's and have swapped to manual once the auto box gave up the ghost. All of the holes are there it is a matter of finding all of the 5 speed bits and bolting them in.

Cheers, Dennis

I have an auto too never given me any problems but the last owner had spent 2k on it :shock: and it'd only done 4k miles before I bought it..still looking to change to a manual in the very near future. As for the MPG I regularly see 28, best ever was 36...not really sure how it did that though

Storm is the man to ask about Auto's.

Do a search through his previous posts and you'll see he has documented a swap from Auto to Manual transmission.

I had a VR6 Auto last year for a while. Bought it with a duff box cheap and fitted a 2nd hand auto box. It was quite nice to drive, really took off on kickdown but wasn't as refined as other Autos I've driven.

They seem to kick the bucket at around 100k miles. Make sure you keep the AT fluid fresh and change the filter every year. A recon box costs around £2.5k!

Follow this link to see a typical Auto box problem.

http://www.eclubvw.com/forums/showthrea ... ge=1&pp=15

The expert that helped me Kurt has now disappeared unfortunately.

Autobox MPG is only slightly less than the manuals. So 21 mpg is real poor unless this is very short drives of 2 to 4 miles each time. Suggests that either the there's something wrong with the torque convertor or the engine itself has problems.

Have you checked out the engine ECU for fault codes. Low mpg could be due to either the lambda probe not working or a ECU temperature sender is faulty.

Cheers MikeVR6 & RW1,

Have printed the link, ta very much, the guy i bought the car from said he was getting 21 mpg, however, according the the MFA, i am getting between 24 - 28, traveling the 6 miles to work each day, havent actually calculated it to see how accurate this is, but may be some fault ie temp sender, as the fan seems to cut in, when the engine isnt that hot, is this possible.

will get the car rechecked for fault codes when i save up a little, still broke from the stealers £450 bill for a new immobiliser and 2 abs sensors!, which i had to have done 2 days after picking it up.

I dont seem to have any problem with the box at the mo, other than its a little slow of the mark sometimes unless you kick down, assuming the torque converter is as it sounds and converts the power to 'drive' the wheels, if this goes, any idea how much it is to replace?

Cheers

6 miles, 24 - 28mpg. That isn't too bad as the VR6 takes 12 minutes to fully warm up. Check out a long run 200 miles before you do anything. Expect to get 30 - 32mpg at a steady 65 - 70 mph.

6 miles, 24 - 28mpg. That isn't too bad as the VR6 takes 12 minutes to fully warm up. Check out a long run 200 miles before you do anything. Expect to get 30 - 32mpg at a steady 65 - 70 mph.

Cheers RW1, will do