Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

G60s with aircon - poss swap?

Like the title says, anyone with a G60 with aircon got any pics of the engine bay?

I've been told that the G60 engine and loom will drop into my Passat, but I don't want to lose the aircon system (once I've got it working :lol:)

From looking at my engine, the a/c pump seems to be exactly where the charger is on a G60 so was wondering how G60s with a/c fit it all in!

No that I have the money to do it at the mo, just wanted to know if I can rule it out completely or not!

Cheers! :D

look at my pics in the gallery click on my pic below

The engine bay is more or less the same, the Rad is the biggest rad ever on a Corrado, bigger than a Vrs even. the compressor is below the charger above the water pump.

as for the heater its all vacum controlled instead of cables, but you can get round that.

Cheers - I did have a look but couldn't see exactly where it all fitted!

Though if I keep all the heater matrix etc behind the dash then the controls'll still be ok...?

Biggest problem would be where to fit the intercooler as I have a big rad and the aircon condensor filling the front already! :lol:

gradeA, I have a G60 Passat with aircon fitted. The intercooler is below the battery as per a Corrado.

I'll get some pictures in the next couple of days.

Gavin

The intercooler pipes on my Passat are different to the Corrado ones. It wouldn't be that hard to make it all work though. You could go with a charge-cooler set up.

Gavin

Cheers guys, I'm currently just bandying ideas about in my head at the mo so all the advice is much appreciated!

Just suddenly started hankering after a bit more power and figuring out the cheapest way to do it - G60 transplant looks cheaper than charging the 2E engine... :)

gradeAfailure, if you have the OEM aircon rad its huge and it files the hole where you would put a pipe through. me and ant in the summer looked at mine and said if you could get one made to fit in the lower bumper with the intro and exit pipe work at the same end you can use the OEM piping removing the OEM cooler. so basically you have the upfront cooler but long pipes

Another picture of a general G60 engine bay, albeit a LHD US-Corrado with factory airco :-)

3engine.jpg

Looks a bit out of date now that the charger is all nice and shiny since its overhaul by G-Werks. Oh well, need to get the camera out again.

Tempest

I have aircon on my US g60 the same as Tempest, and it will all be up for sale soon wen when I strip the car.

Let me know if you are interested in any bits as I want to sell them cheep and fast!

Right, just thought I'd resurrect this thread as I may potentially have been offered a G60 engine with charger for not a lot of money - charger has no fan on it though, but would be speaking to Darren the man about this anyway... Question is - is an engine swap out of the reach of your average home mechanic? I used to work on Harriers for a living so am fairly mechanically clued up but don't have a huge range of tools etc... Quite at home with wiring looms and stuff, but not so sure about popping driveshafts out and that... I'd also want to overhaul the G60 engine whilst it was out of the car, and do all the suspension bushes whilst I was at it.

Any ideas about what parts I'd be likely to need (apart from the obvious ECU and wiring loom), and how long I could expect the car to be off the road for...? Look at this as an 8V Corrado to G60 swap as it's pretty much the same thing...!

Cheers guys! :D

I'd rebuild the G60 lump whilst driving the 8V around, that way you're mobile - and you get to gauge whether or not it's out of your scope. Sounds like an interesting conversion ya got on the cards there Dave. Keep us posted :D

edit - or scrap that idea completely, and charge your 2.0 lump :twisted:

you woulld need a new water pump pulley as when you have AC the water pump is driven by the A section belt (PAS)

Also 2 new belts (PAS / Charger)

You will also need to check if the AC compressor fitted to a G60 has the same gauge line as the one fitted to your passat otherwise you will have belt problems