Sign in to follow this  
GinaG

ABS light

The ABS light has been coming on whilst driving and doesn't turn off until you stop the engine and restart the car. It doesn't happen every time you drive it so shall I wait till it sticks on until I get it checked out at the garage??

Hi GinaG, lots of threads on here about this (try the search), but this is most probably a sensor which the garage should easily identify for you.

Hi, mine started recently as well, suggest you get it checked mine now stays on all the time as sensor has finally given up the goat!!! More money!! :D

My ABS light used to come on and stay on when the car was cold. After restarting when warm it seemed to work fine so I thought it could be the old dirty/faulty sensor. How wrong could I be..!

:shock:

Turned out the problem was the main ABS unit itself retailing at £1500 from the main stealers....!!! :!:

Got one second hand from a VW breakers for £75 (worth a risk I thought) and works fine.

Just be careful before spending silly money

That sounds how mine behaved when the pedal position sensor was faulty. Where are you? Perhaps someone near you could vagcom it and see what fault code is logged.

Question - Storming Dave might know the answer here.

I have a similar problem, a failed ABS unit. I am wondering if an ABS unit from older cars might fit the 1996 VR6 that I have.

Just wondering if you did much research on whether the ABS units were interchangeable between different years or if they were uniform between the different versions of the car throughout the 1990's.

John C.

Question - Storming Dave might know the answer here.

I have a similar problem, a failed ABS unit. I am wondering if an ABS unit from older cars might fit the 1996 VR6 that I have.

Just wondering if you did much research on whether the ABS units were interchangeable between different years or if they were uniform between the different versions of the car throughout the 1990's.

John C.

i believe an ABS ECU controller from a Golf VR is compatible.....well according to the (pretty reliable)parts guy at my local $tealer.........as ive just needed to get one.......luckily for me.....a mate had one left-over from a 15k mile C that he was breaking a year or 2 back......especially considering they retail for............£540+VAT :shock: :shock: :shock: