Sign in to follow this  
GinaG

Timing Chain ???

Read this on the site:

Listen for any noise from the timing chain. Slight noise (rattle) can be acceptable.

The guides and tensioner can need replacing once mileage approaches 80k+. £200 for parts alone and it’s quite labour intensive as it can be worth doing the clutch whilst you’re at it.

My Corrado VR6 Storm has done over 100k now and I have never had this replaced and I have noticed it sounds a bit like a taxi at the moment and has a squeak coming from the left hand side, is it likely to be the timing chain ??

Quite possibly.

The squeak is more likely to be the aux water pump though, maybe it's bearings are running close to the bone..?

Aux tensioner is on the right hand side of the car, but then, it depends which way you're looking at it.. For clarification the timing chains are on the left/passenger/gearbox side...

and has a squeak coming from the left hand side

Sounds like it needs some WD40, but ooh aah just a little bit....

There are a lot of things that can make noise but typically VR6 timing chain guides sound like a rock crusher and no squeeking. As to what side of the car things are on that is simple, it is always related to what side of the car you drive on or looking out the front of the car. It is easy to remember if you remember that the English drive right hand drive cars so this means the right side of the car is the one you drive from.

I would check the timing chains out because if they break or stretch too much it could od a lot of damage to the motor. Typically they seem to need replacement in the range of 130,000 kms to 160,000 kms.

Cheers, Dennis

and has a squeak coming from the left hand side

Sounds like it needs some WD40, but ooh aah just a little bit....

Oh. My. God.