Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

98 POLO electric window not working properly

My mate has a 98 Polo and is having a bit of a problem with the drivers side window. Occaisonally, the window will go up fine but it's more often than not struggling to go up and sometimes stops before it gets all the way to the top and closes. He therefore has to slide the window up by hand to close it completely. It all went pear-shaped when some pikey decided to lob a half-brick through his window just foe the hell of it. Before pikey involvement - window works perfect, after pikey involvement and window replaced - window works not so perfect. Anybody got any ideas? I hope it's something cheap and easy to replace cause I've said to him if it is I'll sort it for him. Any input welcome, cheers

did you clean the window rubber of all left over glass?

sometimes the glass can get stuck in the channels and causes friction.

Hey Majik, you enjoy you're little stay in Glasgow then? Was nice to meet you and put a face to a name.

Back on topic.

Not sure about the cleaning mate, it was fixed when he was down in Hitchin. It happened a few months ago but the problem has only started happening in the past few weeks. I've just been on the phone to my mate and he told me the guy who replaced the window said that there was a bit missing!!!! He's not sure which bit though as it was a while ago. Could it be the window regulator or the motor that is buggered?

Likewise mate, Glasgow is kinda lively at night, enough activity going on, didnt manage to find 'garage' but just chilled after that.

Theres not much that can go missing by changing the window, theres only two 10mm bolts which hold the window to the regulator (is the case with corrado) unless something is caught up inside the mechanism.

Best to strip it and have a look.

some of the polos use a palstic support bracket and often one of these breaks causing the pressure to be put on one support to lift the window, best way to check is put the window half way up and see if you can lift it up,if it moves a fair bit then the supports are either loose broken or one is missing. The mk4 polos are really eay to work on (i've had four so far, still got one aswell as the c). To take the door car of just whip off the door pin prise of the handle cover take out the two philips screws and then pop the card off starting from the bottom below door pocket, just dynamated mine so thats why i can remember this, hope it helps mate :D