Sign in to follow this  
tug

VR6 rocker cover breather section

There's been oil leaking from the rocker cover breather section on my VR, so today I decided to investigate!

The only thing I can find in there is a tiny coil of wire...

Is there supposed to be anything else in the breather section? Oil seems to be able to work its way up the hose and into the throttle body fairly easily.

Sorry about the pictures, don't know how to put them in between lines of text...

Any help greatly appreciated, Rado is in bits right now! :)

Yep, all perfectly normal. Wash the copper mesh in petrol and pop it back in the breather outlet.

VR6s do 'breath' quite a lot, even new ones did and oil in the inlet pipe and throttle is normal. There's shouldn't be tonnes of it in there, but a light film on the throttle and bit sitting in the inlet hose is OK.

There is a lot of oil fumes in the motor and under load they are sucked into the motor and burnt. When the fumes are being sucked into the hose that comes out of the valve cover it is common for the oil to stick to the inside of the hose and then drip out the joints. I would use clamps on the hose and this should stop most of the oil from dripping out at the joints. The wire you pulled out is a fire retarder in case of a back fire, this should be cleaned & put back in.

Cheers, Dennis