Sign in to follow this  
andy.b

temp gauge

Hello, i have got a problem with my tempreture gage at the moment. it is only going up to just short of 70 degrees.

a couple of months ago some wanker was installing an alarm in my corrado VR6 and when he was messing with my fuse box he pulled all my fucking wires out.

when he put all the wires back in there was a few things that would not work. Temp gage was one of them.

so i taken my car to an auto electrician and they said the wireing to the fuse box for the temp gage was fine so it was down to my clocks.

i got a new set of clocks and the temp gage was only going up to 70 degrees unlike the previous ones that would not work before (i think this wanker who installed my alarm shorted something in th clocks).

i taken my car to dubsport and they said its my clocks, so i got another set of clocks and it only went up to 70 degrees again. surely this cannot be the clocks that are at fault.

is this a job for VOLKSWAGEN?

you may as well try replacing the coolant temp sensor..........but be warned there are 2 of them on the VR6.....the one you need is the one that goes to the instruments......NOT the ECU one

Could it be that the cars engine temp is 70 degrees? I would first hook the car to a VAG-COM or something like that and compare the temp gauge in the dash to the ECU temp signal and make sure they are not the same. If they are out then the yellow temp sensor in the thermostat housing is for the temp gauge in the dash on the VR6 and this may need to be replaced. Excuse my ignorance but what is a clocks?

Dennis

when you say replace the coolant temp sensor on the instruments "not the E.C.U" is that sensor the yellow sensor in the thermostat housing.

i will get my car checked out on one of those VAG-COM to compare the temp gauge on the clocks to the temp from the E.C.U signal.

when you say replace the coolant temp sensor on the instruments "not the E.C.U" is that sensor the yellow sensor in the thermostat housing.

i will get my car checked out on one of those VAG-COM to compare the temp gauge on the clocks to the temp from the E.C.U signal.

its the one on the themostat housing area that GOES to the instruments i mean :wink:

Does temp rise above 70 at any time, eg standing in traffic? then fall to 70 or below when moving again?

That is what I was experiencing last year, turned out to be the thermostat stuck in open position.

change the coolant temp sensor (for the gauge) odds are it's died...