Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Respray costs

This is a bit of a subjective question but my car could really do with a tidy up as there are a few niggles here and there with the paint work.

TBH I dont know much behind the prep etc for a respray and what needs to be removed. Basically the cars fine and a few of the panels are ok but I dont want to have just panels sprayed if they are not going too match. I have this already on one of my wings and looks terrible under certain light.

Bascially I am asking what sort of price it should be for a basic respray minus the roof. I know you dont want to skimp on paint but I am not exactly rolling in the green stuff.

I've recently looked into this as my C is a little cosmetically challenged, few dents on the drivers side, little rust on the drivers wing arch, bumpers have seen some touch parking and of course the usual peppered front end.

First quote i got was around the £750 mark for part spare minus the front end. Second was a cash in hand job with a mate who works at the VW bodyshop, quoted roughly £1k for a full spare, told me it might go upto 1.2k with placing plastic trims and mouldings.

you certainly pay for what you get tho - if you can take the car off the road and know someone who can show/guide you through the prepping process it might make it cheaper - also removing things like lights grills - any trim that you dont want sprayed may help make it cheaper too - but only if you find a friendly bodyshop. Generally there is a lot of time consuming jobs to be done for a car to be painted... and time is money! Correct me if im wrong anyone... but some bodyshops around here work this way, afterall alot of the people that work in these places are enthusiasts like ourselves and arent ALL in it just for the money!

Coullstar, the best bet is to have a shop around, and see what figures the paintshops are quoting. Preferably go for a paintshop that has some reputation.

There's a place called Paint Teknik or something similar in West Tullos that's meant to be good and cheap. They've quoted Jimmer £45 to remove a dent and respray his rear quarter on his Lhasa Green Mk1 GX.

Just had mine sprayed cost £1000 inc VAT but this included every panel, removing dents on every wheel arch and replacing and spraying of two doors. Quality very nice indeed. :D

It might be worth asking for a price with them doing all the preparation and stripping.

Then offer to strip the car yourself taking the lights out door handles off and all the easy stuff,as whiteee, says time is money.

Certainly worth asking just to see how much of a diference it would make.

Just leave the bodyshop to the painting and prepping.