Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

Towing with a VR6

I've got a towbar fitted to my VR6 already, and I've just bought a car trailer and track car. (Trying to save the poor old VR). Thing is I'm a bit confused about the regulations regarding towing vehicles. I passed after Jan 1st 1997, so have only catagory B not B+E, but I can't work out if my trailer requires B or B+E. The way I see it, the VR6 is about 1300kgs, so if my trailer + car is

This is the from the DVLA website(MAM = Maximum Allowed Mass):

Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E and all larger vehicles. In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards.

Category B:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to 8 passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) OR a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle.

Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle.

Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle’s handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

The user manual will tell you what the weight limits are for the C VR6.

As for the towing, you should be OK as I've not known anyone who owns a caravan to take a special test in order to tow it legally.

Corrado with a caravan hitched to it.

Sod your R32 engine installs and TT dashes, that's what I want to see :lol:

You will be very lucky to get a car and cat trailer to weigh less than a VR6, the trailers are usually very heavy!

Ive been down this route before myself!

I can also confirm that they are/have made it so you have to pass a seperate test to pull a trailer!

Yep I would!

Theres a good chance you would never get stoped by the police, but if anything ever happened they would throw the book at you!

Quality! :)

I still want to see a proper Corrado-pulling-a-caravan pic tho :(

I've got a towbar fitted to my VR6 already, and I've just bought a car trailer and track car. (Trying to save the poor old VR). Thing is I'm a bit confused about the regulations regarding towing vehicles. I passed after Jan 1st 1997, so have only catagory B not B+E, but I can't work out if my trailer requires B or B+E. The way I see it, the VR6 is about 1300kgs, so if my trailer + car is

This is the from the DVLA website(MAM = Maximum Allowed Mass):

Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E and all larger vehicles. In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards.

Category B:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to 8 passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) OR a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle.

Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle.

Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle’s handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.

Cool, been thinking this could be a good way to go in future, get something for track thats cheaper to repair than the C. What did u go for?