Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Steering / Suspension Oddities

Yet again im looking for some advice on steering / suspension problems.

Currently experiences some oddities that are driving me mad as i can't put my finger on whats causing it.

Every so often i hear a quick clanging / rattle sound coming from the front left. Might call it a knocking sound im having difficulty differentiating the noises. I've heard it recently while driving pretty much straight ahead while on a slightly bumpy bit of road. Heard it again as i was pulling up at home served across the road to back into the driveway and as it was returning to centre i could hear a knock. Along with this oddity ive also seem to have picked up a odd shudder from the left side while turning, gives the impression the car wobbles only really noticeable on turns of roughly 90 degrees. Not sure if thats connected at all, but both symptoms have presents them selves at the same time.

Prior the problems i had the front springs replaced and the tracking done. Recently i have had the front shocks, top mounts and ball joints replaced.

Any ideas, im wondering about bearings or CV joints but i'm out of my league with diagnosis these problems.

the hub bolts can come loose if they`ve been taken off,

check them maybe, use new ones and tighten to 200 odd lb!

If everything's tight, including the anti roll bar links - likelihood is that it'll be -

1.worn CV joint

2.badly seated top mount

3.badly seated front spring

Front wheel bearings may be worn but these usually give an audible squealing noise when cornering.

Found today while going round a mini roundabout that its now making a dry rubbing / grinding noise. Doesnt do this when turning left (not that ive tried on a roundabout) This a bearing noise ?

In my experience bearings tend to rumble more than anything, especially when you get up to speed. They rumble to such a degree you can almost be certain 100% what corner it's coming from.

CV joints are pretty easy to diagnose as they click at full lock if they are worn.