Sign in to follow this  
BenM

passat door handles?

Hi all - I'm new on here, but I've owned a 1990 1.8 16v for the last 2 years. I've had a lot of trouble over those 2 years (bought a bit of a lemon really) but now I'm down to ironing out the details rather than the big problems.

Anyway, a few months back my driver's side door handle broke. I got one of daves16v's repair kits, which seemed like the cheapest option. Unfortunately I managed to break another part of the handle whilst trying to fit it, so I need a complete new handle. I've heard passat handles will fit - I've found one from a '91 passat at a local scrappy. Do the front handles fit, or is it only the rears that can be used? The part number is 357837208A if that helps.

Cheers

Ben

Welcome to the forum,

Try GPC - http://www.gpcvwaudi.co.uk

As far as I know, the rear handles will fit IF you change the mechanisms. Then you just need to have a reliable central locking alarm, as that'll be your way of entering the car. Well, there is the boot - but that's less than dignified. Although a bird in a short skirt entering... anyway I digress. :D

There are plenty of people breaking Rado's (sadly) in the Parts for Sale section. You might also want to repost this, or ask a mod to move this to the Parts wanted section.

Oh yeah, try ebay too.

Ta

randal

Thanks for the quick reply.

I knew the rears fitted but I don't have a reliable central locking alarm (I have an unreliable one), so I kind of need a lock on the handle. Are the fronts too big?

Not sure why the fronts can't be used. No doubt there is a random bit of metal in the way that VW thought the car would benefit from.

In all fairness, it might just be easier to grab handles from a rado being broken and swap your lock barrels in. Anyone else tried this?

I'd go the Passat rear handle route if you are planning to get a new alarm, or sort the old one. Probably easier to replace.

My 1990 rado had a screwed Scorpion piece of crap alarm that went off every 5 minutes and messed me around with the central locking. Ditched that first of all, and replaced with a Toad. Worth doing if you can spare the cash, peace of mind and all that.

Forgot to mention - use the search function here for more information. There are countless threads about this, should be something in there that'll see you right.

hth

randal

Cheers - I have searched previously which is how I found out about daves16v's repair kits. Mine has a crappy Falcon alarm which I never use because it went off randomly the day I bought the car, almost causing the police to be caused because it p!ssed off the neighbours so much.

Unfortunately this has been quite low on the list of priorities after the oil cooler, brakes, exhaust and head gasket all needed replacing (the latter causing me to get towed off the M40 at a cost of £300 the day I was supposed to be going on holiday - girlfriend NOT impressed, AA relay cover never seemed like such good value). That and the fact that my insurance is due for renewal next month means it probably won't get done for a while. I am getting a bit bored of climbing over the gearstick to get in the car though....ebay or GPC here I come!

Oh sounds so familiar! Had to sort a similar list when I got mine too, with the exception of the head gasket. In fact, it's due on the ramps weekend after next to get some more done. Susp, wheel bearings, bushes etc.. ...all the fun things that 14/15 year old cars could do with. Stick with it, seems like a pain in the arse now but it's worth it for the grin factor. :D

My advice is: get the front drivers AND both rear door handles form the Passat in the scrappy, along with the front door mechs. Swap your barrel into the Passat's drivers handle (you'll need the Passat's key for this). Fit a Passat rear handle to your passenger door, the driver's handle to your driver's door, and both the mechs to your doors.

This way, when you get the alarm sorted, all you'll have to do is replace the driver's handle with the second remaining Passat rear handle.

Job jobbed! :D

So am I right in thinking that I can use the passat driver's door handle if I also get the front door mech? Is it just that the passat handle won't work with the corrado mech?

As far as sticking with it goes, I'm fully committed. I forgot about the strut mounts, wheel bearings and the engine mounts that I've also done and the suspension bushes and brake hoses that still need doing, but as you say that's what you get with 15 year old cars. I wouldn't change it though - I had a concours mk1 GTI before the C (its actually on the cover of VWM this month) which was an amazing drive, but it must be said that the C does handle better despite being 300kg heavier. The grin factor is well worth the expense!

AFAIK the activating pins on the Passat handles are slightly different to the Corrado's - hence the need for using the mechs as well...

I paid £20 at my local scrappy for two front mechs plus two rear handles, so you should only pay a fiver more for driver's handle on top of that. Don't forget to get the key else you won't be able to remove the barrel! :D