Sign in to follow this  
fla

Spraying bumpers

Both my bumpers have scuffs on the corners, n fact the rear has some cracked paintwork on it too - previous guy was a bit neglectful. VW charge about £12 for a can of 300ml paint, which the guy said would do about 2 mirrors. Any advice on respraying, where to get LC5U paint, how much would be needed for the front and rear bumpers, priming etc.. Can you get a good finish with cans or should I hire a spray gun?

I'm in a simlair situation, looking to get the front bumper painted by a bodyshop though..

I would think a quart would do it. Use primer/filler and be sure to sand the existing paint and get rid of any cracked paint and rough edges. You will have to use a flex agent as well to avoid later cracking. Paints come with good mixing instructions these days so it's not difficult.

You really have to rent a compressor and a gun though but it's not hard to do.

a bodyshop quoted me £120 for my front bumper, proably less than 240 if both were done together

khurrado, good idea. Need to get my motor running first and a few more bits and bobs. Any idea on prices for the compressor etc? BTW whereabouts are you in SW London?

a quart

How much is that in metric, mate - we use litres here!

One quart = one quarter of an imperial gallon = two pints = 1.1365225 imperial (UK) litres.....apparently

The spray cans from VW suck... they don't spray evenly and tend to spatter large droplets. I wouldn't use them for anything more than very small areas. Are you doing the whole bumper, or just touching up the damaged areas?

fla, im in kingston. BUT my garage isnt big enough to spray in. my front bumper is KO, needs replacement, or atleast a spot of filler and respray. PM me and keep in contact, im probably too lazy to do it now.lol.but maybe a month or 2.