Sign in to follow this  
vwcvr6

Perfromance chip

Hi i am tinking of getting my VR chipped, wat chips the best and how much do they roughly cost

are there any advantages or disadvantages

am new to this an just need some info

thxs guys!!!

Treat a rechip of a standard engine as a way to improve drivability and not a way of getting loads more power. You might free off 10 or so hp at the most. A good standard VR usually sees 200bhp, so an engine that good is unlikely to yield furter improvement with a chip.

Rechipping costs around £400 at AmD.

still re-chipping is usually best after you've upgraded the usual bits like air filter (either a panel or a dedicated induction setup) and a stainless exhaust. as Kev says it improves the drivability, smoother acceleration etc etc.

probably not worth doing to a standard vr6, works really well with the schrik manifold so I hear :)

hmmm i guess thats not the way to go then i have fitted a bmc cda intake,

wat other options do i have to get a bit of power

thxs

No worries, you can delete your own posts using the x on top right corner of the post :wink:

A number of us have Schrick variable manifolds which boosts the torque quite nicely as the VR6 is quite lazy below 4000rpm in standard form. I also have an enlarged and flowed throttle, and Schrick 268 cams and a rechip.

Whilst that little lot makes for nice engine, most of us a agree a supercharger is probably a better route as all those parts listed above are expensive. S/hand superchargers can be had for around £1500-£2000 + a rechip. Good for about 270bhp.

yea, I think an exhaust and air filter has to be done first and of course it will make a VR sound like more of beast!

Mine's got an induction kit, and whilst not being the most refined noise it does give a great 'bark' when you boot the throttle! Supercharger would be the way i'd go if i had a spare few bob.

With the strong £, I dont see why you dont get your chips from the states. You can get one from EIP mapped for the higher octane you have there, and still be ahead, financially. We all use GIAC chips here mostly. Garret Lim is a world reknown chip tuner. http://www.giacusa.com

With the strong £, I dont see why you dont get your chips from the states. You can get one from EIP mapped for the higher octane you have there, and still be ahead, financially. We all use GIAC chips here mostly. Garret Lim is a world reknown chip tuner. http://www.giacusa.com

might make a difference with our VR6's being ABV 2.9's and having 190bhp as standard tho versus the N.American markets AAA 2.8's 176bhp........