Sign in to follow this  
ANDY16V

Pricey cure for rust removal?

I've got some corrosion on the acute corner just below the passenger side glass quarter, i've treated once and its returned with renewed vigor. the rust spot is the size of a ten pence but to do a proper job the glass will have to be removed and the area around where the window seal is situated will have to be treated... and everything put back( so i'm told) anyway this along with a small dent on drivers side front arch... i have been quoted verbally £350.00, he's going to formally write to me confirming this....the company quoting was recommended which i guess is a good thing, does this sound reasonable? or should i shop around a bit?

cheers

paint work is never cheap especially if he's got to grind the rust away or cut it out.....sounds ok to me

When enquiring about resprays in the past, I've been quoted around 60-80 quid a panel, 100 on the bonnet/roof. Paint is normally between 40-50 on top of that. It really depends on who, how good "who" is and how much "who" charges for labour. Stripping the glass out of the rear quarter, grinding away the rust, filling/prepping/priming/painting/matching/blending/laquering is going to take a good few hours too.

I also recently enquired about a full respray and was told 1000-1500 quid for a 2 year job, or for something that'll last and look like a proper job you're looking around 3K easy!

When enquiring about resprays in the past, I've been quoted around 60-80 quid a panel, 100 on the bonnet/roof. Paint is normally between 40-50 on top of that. It really depends on who, how good "who" is and how much "who" charges for labour. Stripping the glass out of the rear quarter, grinding away the rust, filling/prepping/priming/painting/matching/blending/laquering is going to take a good few hours too.

I also recently enquired about a full respray and was told 1000-1500 quid for a 2 year job, or for something that'll last and look like a proper job you're looking around 3K easy!

The guy has been recommended ...so i'll probably use him, thanks for the comments. Incidently you were talking about a respray, 1000- 1500 ...and the job only looks good for 2 years??? is that right because thats scarey news :shock:

thats depending on who your asking ive had good jobs done for under a grand that looked good for years but yor looking at a grand plus for a factory (vw not ford) oem quality jobbie mines going in for a full spray job this year its gonna be part birthday present!! gotta love that girl!

Pricey business... yet worth it! i've been following A20LEE's thread and i think he mentioned that he's had 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of lacquer is this the same as oem or over and above and a job like that... how much is that likely to cost?

no a20 lees is far better than oem not that ive seen it but ive seen similar jobs your looking at £3000-£5000 for a job like that.

I've seen Lee's up close and it's one of the best paint jobs I've had the pleasure of taking photos of... 8)

It was NOT cheap though! :lol:

The expensive bit of painting a car is the labour costs... The paint cost only starts to get expensive if you decide on a Pearl or Candy colour...

If you can find someone who's GOOD, but is looking for some startup work to get their name known, it's easily possible to get a VERY good paint job for not much cash, however, it's a take a chance option... :|

I've got some corrosion on the acute corner just below the passenger side glass quarter, i've treated once and its returned with renewed vigor. the rust spot is the size of a ten pence but to do a proper job the glass will have to be removed and the area around where the window seal is situated will have to be treated... and everything put back( so i'm told) anyway this along with a small dent on drivers side front arch... i have been quoted verbally £350.00, he's going to formally write to me confirming this....the company quoting was recommended which i guess is a good thing, does this sound reasonable? or should i shop around a bit?

cheers

I'VE just had the written quotation and with materials and VAT the price for the above job has gone up to £650.00 :shock: which i just can't justify spending, so i'm checking out some other places, what do people think about this price???

cheers andy

That's chuffing rediculous. The lad wants a knock on the head to jack a verbal quote from 350 to 650 on paper. No-one else would take that on the chin.

Who was that Andy, not one of my recommendations was it?

Gavin

That's chuffing rediculous. The lad wants a knock on the head to jack a verbal quote from 350 to 650 on paper. No-one else would take that on the chin.

Who was that Andy, not one of my recommendations was it?

Gavin

No it wasn't chief.. it was a company called VRS in bodmin i think they deal mostly with insurance claims, i have one other to try in bodmin and then i'm going to try one of your recommendations, if it carrys on like this i'll be asking whats involved and doing it myself :roll:

cheers andy