mrbeige

Possible Spoiler FIX - Update page 3

mrbeige, buttles, where did you get the replacement transistor from?

I got mine from Farnell, but I haven't a clue which ones they were now... :(

thanks buttles, just got back home today to find the transistor on the mat! nicely packaged!===its TINY!

Many thanks for your help - I owe you one 8)

bugger :(

managed to solder the fiddly little bugger in...only to find i now have no speedo function , forget about the spoiler!

what did I do???

I have tried everything but cant get the speedo working - so tried another set of clocks - speedo works but guess what - no spoiler function at speed

I have a few so pm me if you want one.

Hello mate... Stumbled across this thread on the CF about the spoiler not working. Sounds about right for mine as it started playing up when the earth strap came loose from the engine bay.

You're in redhill which is handy as I'm working there now!!

Would you be able to sell me one of these diodes??

edit: meant to PM that... :oops:

Right guys and gals, quick update

It seems that the VR6 clocks and 16v clocks are a little more different than they are at first glance! The transistor that I changed on my 2.0l 16v clocks fixed mine a treat, but the VR6 clocks although the look the same the component is infact a diode not a transistor.The components are the same shape and in the same place, but the VR6 ciruit is quite different and it actually looks like this particular issue with the transistor blowing on the 16v clocks had been found by VDO and fixed with the updated clocks (with the addition of a thermal fuse/resistor).

So for the VR boys the component is just a standard diode. I'll post up the part number etc. from RS or Farnell later.

Hi Louis :lol: , did you get those part numbers for the VR? Is it simply a case of removing the old one and soldering on the new one? Any tips for removal/soldering? I'm crap with things like this! :oops:

My new VR only works from the switch, so I'm guessing this will be the prob.

i posted some soldering tips in a thread a while ago, cant remember which one (was something to do with heater/blower) try a search for it

Hi Louis :lol: , did you get those part numbers for the VR? Is it simply a case of removing the old one and soldering on the new one? Any tips for removal/soldering? I'm crap with things like this! :oops:

My new VR only works from the switch, so I'm guessing this will be the prob.

Andy, its possible, but I've looked at two sets of VR clocks that don't work, and tried replacing the diode to no avail. I can get the part number for you on Monday when I'm back at work anyway.

Cazza it is easy really, if ur really scared then buy the bits and next event over our neck of the woods I will take my tool box and gas soldering iron with me and do it for u then (and will cost u a beer) but u will need to have the right part and know exactly where it goes as I have never worked on the electrics in a 'C' before (just clansman 321's, 353's, 320's)

Thanks matey- much appreciated :)

Not sure now whether the diode is actually the prob though...

well i saw you were a hammers fan and could probably do with people being nice to you at this point of the season ;-) (supporting a team from the whiter and better side of north london ;-) )

Emphasis on the word slightly ;)

Will be a different story soon though (provided we stay up!).

Any update on those diode part numbers, Mrbeige?

Isn't there also some wire behind the stereo that has something to do with the spoiler?