Sign in to follow this  
juloesG60

Two Chassis Numbers?! Any body seen this before?! 92 G60

A few weeks after i bout the car last August poking around in the bonet i realised there were two chassis numbers! You can only see the second from the side thats why i didnt clock it before, but the one below is just random and crossed out with the top one matching the logbook which dosnt seem at all bodged. Really weird has anybody seen this before? cant see if u stole it or anything dodgy u would leave the old one?!

cheers Jules

It's quite official looking ...

Someone bodged it up in the factory and didn't want to have to spend ages sorting it so they just crossed it out and started again?!

Looks like a reshell using a newer shell to me. The 'M' and the 'N' denote the year of manufacture.

I would say it legit or the 'spare' number would have been removed.

Gavin

Looks like a reshell using a newer shell to me. The 'M' and the 'N' denote the year of manufacture.

I would say it legit or the 'spare' number would have been removed.

Gavin

Not sure about VW but Mercedes supply new shells made to retain the original chassis number. Once a Merc has been reshelled, the chassis number doesn't change, the vehicle still retains the original chassis number.

Maybe VW do things differently ??

Definately worth speaking to someone at VW HQ to find out a little more about that mate!

My friend's Lotus Elise is the same - the RAC guy picked it up on a pre-purchase inspection. A call to Lotus resulted in a letter confirming it was a factory error and totally legitimate. He was a bit concerned for a while though.