Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Ignition Switch

Ok folks, 1.8 16V on an 89 plate, Alternator had gone - So replaced and fitted with a 90 amp brand new 1 (Which was faulty and ended up braking down! :mad: Anyway its been replaced under guarantee) Then starter was messing about so also fitted a new one, inbetween all this I also got a new battery but car wont start on lets say 5th attempt or 6th then sometime it just doesnt!

Sparkys just been out and we both came to the conclusion that its the ignition switch, so....has any1 experienced the same probs or does any1 know info on this? Its not a big job eh?

Oh and how much? Might aswell buy new as I have with everything else!!!

Cheers! :)

The iggy switch is a very common problem. Mine's on it's 3rd one!

I would only use a VW one as I've found the GSF ones don't work properly and aren't made as well. They are about £10 from VW.

To replace it, try a search as it's been discussed many times before but my preferred method is to remove both halves of the steering column cowling and get the switch out from above. You will need some of those small chrome electrician screwdrivers as space is very, very tight.