Sign in to follow this  
pacificshack

Speakers for 1990 16v

Hi there, I'm new to Corrados. Bought mine last year and have never looked back. Finally I have my dream car!

I'm looking at upgrading the stereo. I have a JVC head unit with a 12 CD changer. I've also factory speakers. This came with the car when I got it. It's a 1990 1.8 16v.

From what I understand I need to get:

4" - Dashboard

5.25" - Doors

6x4" - Rears

After looking through the Inifinity's look a good option. How easy is the 6000cs to install? In particular the doors. I have grills for both sides at the moment, however one is cracked so I had to pull it off. There are no speakers in there at the mo, hence no wiring either.

Do I have to put the grills back on afterwards, or is there a better nicer way? I have the standard door pods.

Also, how does the wiring go from the doors? Does it go to the tweeter in the dash and then to the head unit?

Any help I get would be appreciated.

Finally I'm based in Auckland, NZ. So getting parts / bits is a bit of an expensive task!

Cheers

Corrados in New Zealand....now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

I believe those are the correct speaker sizes for the standard positions. However, you may be better off with a custom-made door pod (similar to the ones available in the group buy on the forum recently), allowing a larger speaker up front, with a tweeter mounted in the dashboard speaker hole.

Amps are no bother to fit. You'll need to run RCA leads and a remote turn-on lead from the stereo to the boot (if that's where the amp is going), a suitably-rated and fused power cable from the battery to the boot and speaker cables to the speakers you wish to drive from the amp. You'll also need an earth cable, which can either run straight from the battery (my preference) or you can earth the amp to the metalwork in the boot.

You don't have to use the speaker grilles but it's always a good idea to cover up anything worth money if you can...at least it is in this country!

I expect the standard speaker wiring connects the dashboard and door speakers in parallel, i.e. the +ve cable for a particular speaker goes from the head unit to +ve terminal of the speaker in the dash position then continues to the +ve terminal of the speaker in the door....and the same for the -ve cable.

I quite like the High Octane movies that come from New Zealand, although the presenter is a bit of a tool and they've become slightly lame in recent years.

does it heave speakers in the doors already? my valver was a 1990 and didnt, never ran cables down to the doors myself but i cant imagine it being 'too' hard. Just in addition to what bcstudent said, you can earth the amp on the bolts for the rear seats so long as you make sure the cables on going to get nipped by the catches. Its easy to do, I've done it twice now with both my corrados, its about a hour and a half job to get it looking tidy, either run the rca's down one side of the car and the power down the other (tucked under the pastic door trims) or down the center tunnel which i think may be more tricky.

either way good luck!

There are no speakers in the door at the moment, and no wiring either!

My RADO is a UK spec 1.8 16v 1990. They are identical to that of the UK version. When these cars were sold here they went for more than NX$60'000 each. At that time no one had that kind of money to spend, let alone on a car. They sold about 12 in total.

We have a forum down here too. Not quite on the grand scale though! Here's our link:

http://www.vask.org.nz

I'm planning long term with my RADO. Respray, alloys, etc. Trying to get her mechanical sound, nearly there just a leaky radiator. Bought her with full VAG service history. She's covered 158'000 km's - about 98000 miles.

With regard to the speaker grills for the doors - do I need to cover them up with the old grills I have? What's the best way to make custom covers? Cheers

IIRC the speaker fit in behind the doorcards, meaning you'll need to take them out to fit the speakers (probs best for running the wires too!) so yeah, just put the old covers back in and you'll be sorted.

The speakers fit to the back of the door pocket. You need to take the door card off to unscrew the door pocket. I've used the standard grilles for the door speakers although they're quite tatty now after years of getting kicked.

As for the amplifier cabling, it's definitely worth taking your time with the routing. Not keeping the signal and power cables separated will likely cause interference that will get right on your nerves!

Hi there, I'm new to Corrados. Bought mine last year and have never looked back. Finally I have my dream car!

I'm looking at upgrading the stereo. I have a JVC head unit with a 12 CD changer. I've also factory speakers. This came with the car when I got it. It's a 1990 1.8 16v.

From what I understand I need to get:

4" - Dashboard

5.25" - Doors

6x4" - Rears

After looking through the Inifinity's look a good option. How easy is the 6000cs to install? In particular the doors. I have grills for both sides at the moment, however one is cracked so I had to pull it off. There are no speakers in there at the mo, hence no wiring either.

Do I have to put the grills back on afterwards, or is there a better nicer way? I have the standard door pods.

Also, how does the wiring go from the doors? Does it go to the tweeter in the dash and then to the head unit?

Any help I get would be appreciated.

Finally I'm based in Auckland, NZ. So getting parts / bits is a bit of an expensive task!

Cheers

The rears are 6*4's but there's not much room for a decent sized magnet, you'll probably have to cut the mounting frame a bit. Make sure any speakers you get also clear the suspension turret!

I went for 4" rounds in the back rather than 6*4's as you have much more choice and generally better speakers for the same money.

My Infinity components up front, were a bit of a fiddle to fit in the door pockets, a bit of trimming of the door card was needed and I put the tweeters in the dash.

David.

depends on spend? but to do properly new door builds new/second hand amp front speakers and sub back speakers not needed. if u buy good quality. please dont buy 6x9 and fuck back shelf it is not needed unless u live in dundee and own a shell suit. reccomend alpine head 44 genesis amp audoiscape pods modifided and a dls sub 10in

cheers buster