Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

water pump help

OK, so I've bought a water pump from GSF. On reading another thread on here about water pump, it says to make sure to get the whole pump not just the impeller.

I got a complete water pump so will this contain all I need??

i have just done mine and if it's the complete pump it will be all you need i would suggest replacing the thermostat at the same time and deffinately paying somebody else to do it... :D

Is the thermostat a separate part, I thought it was inside the water pump?

Is it an awkward job to do then? In the golf haynes manual it says you have to remove power steering pump too. Did you have to do this?

no its a seperated part but there not pricey... thats not the issue it's actually removing the four bolts that hold the water pump on they go straight into the block and if your shear one of those off like i did you have a real problem so i would take it on the chin and pay some one else to do it as you only want to be doing this job once !!! but you don't have to remove the p/s pump just loosen them and be carefull not to damage the hoses....

Yeah, get the stat and also get the plastic 'flange' which bolts over it... make sure you have all the O rings also, you should have 2 in the waterpump box but best to check...

You'll prob need to take off the alternator to do this job it gives you more room to work. You'll have to remove the power steering belt also which can be tricky to get back on.

The more I think about this job the less I can be bothered to do it. I think I will just take it to a garage and get someone else to do it!!

Yeah, get the stat and also get the plastic 'flange' which bolts over it... make sure you have all the O rings also, you should have 2 in the waterpump box but best to check...

Is this the plastic flange? The stealers looked at me funny when I asked for it!

that's the bugger... the thermostat sits inside it and then it (and it's O-ring) bolt onto the bottom of the waterpump. 8)

Careful how you tighten it up... if you get it on at an angle it's quite easy to crack it.... :|

Is this the plastic flange? The stealers looked at me funny when I asked for it!

You'll find most blokes will look at you funny if you ask for flange.

You'll find most blokes will look at you funny if you ask for flange.

:lol:

Ok so it turns out it wasn't the water pump.....it was the power steering pulley that was bent or something. So the belt was slackening then tightening etc.

Is it worth changing the water pump anyway seeing as I have all the bits?

yup. I would anyway, but then I tend to replace lots of bits when I'm only supposed to be changing one... :roll: :lol: