Sign in to follow this  
markievw

help in buying corrado vr6

hi

I am going to see a corrado vr6 :D :D to replace my mk2 gti. What sould i look for. It is in aqua blue with heated leather seats etc.. 73,000 miles M Plate FSh all mots. what sort of price should i pay. It is up for £6000 at a dealer and it is mint.

They dont have a cam belt do they. They have a cam chain does this need replacing? how much?

Any body recommend a garage to service them in shropshire/west midlands.

look forward to hearing from you

mark

IF..it is a great condition then given the current market 6 ono seems v.good at that mileage and price.

Being trade you would 'expect' to see the same privately at 5ish.

Haggle to death and go with your gut feeling if it test drive brilliantly.

Cam chain mate.

good luck.

I'm sure you'll have already had a look around this forum, but if you haven't already checkout the buyers guide at http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5124

Not too sure on price, but that sounds okay from a dealer - does it include a warranty? You could ask for a printout from the diagnostics to confirm that there's no electronic problems. Chains/tensioners shouldn't need replacing yet (and is subject to opinon as to whether they should be changed around 100k to 120k miles or just left).

Check EVERYTHING carefully. Paintwork, engine bay, sunroof, aircon if fitted, heater/blower controls on every speed and direction, movement/tilt of seats, mirrors, MFA, absolutely everything. Parts are either damned expensive (mostly) or obsolete so be thorough. Also check that it's one key for all the locks (including glovebox).

It needs to be virtually perfect really IMO for that money. Good luck!

There is a different key for the door. But he said that the lock mechanism went so had to replace it with new lock. Am having a hpi done on it so that should show wether it has been broken into stolen recovered.

what do you think

Hmmm - they should have been able to order a new barrel with the VIN number from VW - more than likely the door handle broke and they couldn't be bothered to swap the barrels...

Mark,

Tried pming you in response to your pm, but just got an absence message.. so here's my reply regarding Golf+Corrado ownership:

Mark,

=======================================

I have both my cars insured with Admiral... I transferred the policy to the Corrado (and 5 years NCB), then took out a separate policy with them for the golf.. for which they gave me full NCB.

Depends how old you are, NCB etc..I found that TPFT and Full Comp on the Golf was v. little difference.. plus you get windscreen cover with fully comp which is useful since a new windscreen would probably cost as much as the car is worth

Having to insure, tax and MOT two cars is v. annoying, but it does mean I can always get to where I'm going because at least one of the cars is always working!

MPG wise, I get 32-38 out of the Golf in motorway miles, and between 28 and 32 in the VR6

I tend to use the Corrado only for journeys greater than 20 miles (ie so it will warm up properly and long distance stuff, whilst using the Golf as a town run around and workhorse

Compared to the Golf, wheras the GTI tends to become light at high speed (110+), the Corrado just sinks lower to the road and feels rock stable..

Perception of speed is also v. different, the same speed in the Corrado will feel much slower

Handling wise the Corrado doesn't have the same understeer that the golf has, however you need to watch lifting off in corners and stamping on the brakes, since this can provoke oversteer as tghe back steps out..

Good luck , and let me know if there's anything else I can do..

Al

cheers for that will try admiral. The best quote i have had so far is £390 for corrado fully comp and £340 for the golf tpft. This was with elephant. co.uk. But have emailed to see if they will give a discount with insuring both cars with them.

I am knocking on a bit now! Well am 32 :( so should do alright for the insurance.

mark