Sign in to follow this  
simmyboy

Am I doing the right thing??????

Please give me your thoughts on my propsed install I am working on a tight budget but looking for a much better sound than standard within a £400 budget. I already have my new head unit which is an Alpine 9847 r which puts out 4 x 45w.

This is what I have came up with.................

Alpine SPS130A front coaxial speakers

Stealth shelf from Auto Acoustics

Alpine SPR69LP 6 x 9's

All driven by an Alpine MRV F340 V12 Amp which is 4 x 55w

After a lot of shopping about I can source all of this for £350 plus my wiring and sound deadening for the doors.

As I am a novice at ice installs please let me know if I am doing the right thing

Go for a sub instead of the 6x9's. If after a while you want some rear fill you could get some 6x9's in.

Personally I'd looking into getting an active sub (is that what they're called?) - a sub with amp built into the enclosure... you could probably get something that would sound a lot better with that money, although I can't recommend anything as I'm not really up to date on whats good as far as car audio goes at the moment...

This type of thing - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 49490&rd=1

although I'm sure someone else can recommend something appropriate... cue Kev with a suggestion :wink:

I was thinking of going down that route JBOB but I have read on previous posts that I really should be putting components up the front with audioscape pods and that takes me way over my budget. The speakers I was putting up front are just coaxial speakers will this sound just as good with a sub box ?

for the best sound you really want the speakers up front where you're sitting, and a sub enclosed in the boot for a bit of extra punch to the bass. The general consensus is that having the trebble and mid bass supplied by dash speakers and door speakers with a sub giving the low end frequencies is the best route to take. you dont 'have' to go for audioscape pods, you can easily get speakers to fit directly into the doors which is what i'm doing.

My g/f has Alpine coaxial speakers (don’t know the product number) and a 12" JBL GT4 sub, and it sound really good in her car, and very cheap :D

Ive got Boston Acoustics comps in AS door pods, 2x 12 jbl subs/ 2x alpine v12 amps and 6x9's in the rear stealth shelf put together with loads of dynamat and it sound quite good :lol:

thanks for the info guys much appreciated I will have a rethink tonight and let you know what I come up with.

JBOB is your g/f running the front speakers off the head unit or the same amp that is running the sub?

In J-DUB I had,

Infinity basslink = £120

JBL 6x4 co-ax rears = £40

JBL component fronts = £90

(Infinity speakers are around 10 to 20 quid more, but do sound slightly nicer)

Run the 2 sets of speakers off your head unit and spend the rest on sound deadening and you'll have a really nice sounding system... 8) The Alpine head unit has a nice amplifier in it, why bother with an extra amp unless you're running mega powerful/loud/hi-quality speakers? 8)

I think I have came up with a solution http://www.audio66.com are doing an Alpine amplified 12" sub-box the SWD-3000 FOR £169.99.

I have also sourced a pair of Alpine SPR 136A components for £100 from http://www.cel-direct.com.

Any advice on whether I should buy an amp for the front speakers or just run them off the head unit as Audio 66 do a 2 channel ALPINE MRPT220 amp for £70 which is very reasonable.

Get the sub/amp and the comps see how they sound. If you feel you need another amp then see if you can borrow one to test first.....no point in spending money if you dont need to.

Ended up going For Boston Acoustic FS50 componenets up front, replaced the rear 6x4s with JBLdirect replacement and an Infinity Basslink.

Finished installing it all at the weekend and I am well pleased with the result. :D