Sign in to follow this  
RobW

sprint handling

Just finished my first sprint in my g60. Need some handling advice.

It's on weitec top adjustable coilovers. They are down about 35 mm and I had them set on firmest for rebound. It is polybushed allround. On a decent set of uniroyal rainsports 195 15's on standard BBS. Ended up running 34 psi up front and 33 psi at back after fiddling.

How it went:-

A bit loose at the back...even a small lift off seemed to loosen it and need capture.

Quite drifty on all four wheels on high speed corners...a bit floaty.

Turn in is reasonable but could be a bit more positive.

Any ideas on setting this up. I have not had any alignment or corner weighting done as yet. Camber/caster???

Also it has vented and grooved all round with unknown pads. Have stripped and cleaned all four but the front left locks under hard breaking. I did do a complete 180 into a tight corner straight line breaking as front left locked then rears locked and and I just rotated!

Of course I am also driving like a baboon as I did last season in a turbo nutter 200sx...rwd...and it takes a while to get use to these fronties.

Anyone done any track work etc and got any ideas.

Cheers

Id probably say your running the dampers a bit hard, try leaving the front a bit softer so it rolls a bit to dig in then set the balance with the rears.

The floaty feeling could be down to the alignement, a bit extra camber on the front is always good, dunno how much you would want on a g60 though as vr's suspension set up is different. Also get a degree of toe out to improve your turn in.

I thought poly bushes on the rear were bad for the passive rear beam/steering thingy the corrado has? I've just read that on the GB thread for the poly bushes. Should use new VAG rears apparently. Correct me if I'm wrong though

What track were u on?

The first thing you should check is your rear brake bias adjuster on the rear beam, this could be locking your back wheels, although if its getting sideways just on lift off, the bias adjust wont be a factor; how are the suspension bushes? and rear wheel bearings are tight? (by the end of my last track outing, i could push the car side to side as if the wheel bolts were loose, although it was actually play in the bearings :shock:)

Do you know the rating of the springs you have, and the if you shocks are bump and rebound adjustable?

Was at RAF Barkston Heath.

Coilovers are Weitec...I presume their standard issue. Top adjutable I presume by rebound only.

Have already fettled and released the rear brake bias valve.

No play in rear bearings.

I am thinking go for 1.5 degrees positive camber up front and have a laser 4 wheel alignment would be a good start to "neutralise" things.

Gonna put some new quality pads up front as the vented and grooved and uprated pads at back may be overbraking me a little....have used Ferodo DS2500 in past which are just excellent but bloody expensive...any ideas, any favourites.

The front nearside locking.....it has been stripped and lubed and checked etc...could it be that with the very firm coilovers may be with my 70 kilos on the right side the corner weighting is out and the front left is just lighter under braking...I sort of wouldnt think so because there is so much pitch forward anyway under hard braking that would over ride that...dont know.

Cheers boys.