Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

Bushes

Hi folks

My Corrado is handling like a bit of a dog at the moment, and since to

my knowledge it hasn't had any of its bushes replaced for years, I

think some new bushes may be in order. :)

What should I replace? Rear axle bushes and bump stops would seem to

be a must as far as I can make out, but what else should I do?

From looking at the ECP and GSF websites I've so far identified the

following:

1. Rear axle bushes (as already mentioned)

2. Rear bump stops (likewise)

3. Front wishbone inner front bushes

4. Front wishbone inner rear bushes

5. Front ARB droplink lower bushes

6. Front ARB end link bushes (or are these the same as 5?)

Are there any others? And which ones should I replace?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Well the rear axle bushes will make the most difference, it's very noticably better once you get them sorted out.

The bump stops are probably disintegrating as well, but I'd get those done at the same time as the shocks, top mount and most likely the top spring plate which will be a nice flakey brown wafer by now. That lot should cost around £50 a side in parts and is probably easier to do if the axle is coming off/down anyway, but if the shocks aren't leaking or dead then it's quite a bit to splash out on the off chance. And if you're going to replace the shocks you might want to think if you want uprated stuff, or boggo VAG stuff...it all depends on your wallet depth tho I guess :)

The rest of the bushes won't make an enormous difference, but if you've got the cash lying around then you might as well replace them :D

And while we're on the rubber theme (ooh err), the engine mounts are worth keeping an eye on too... the gearbox mount is oil-filled on most C's and it pops after a while, leaving a gooey mess and letting the engine slop a bit. You can get Mk2 Diesel Golf ones for about £8.50 from GSF which are a straight swap and solid rubber. Similarly, the next most vulnerable seems to be the front engine mount that gets a bit soggy after a while. Replacing that (if it's dead) will stop the engine slopping about so much when you give it some welly and you don't have the fear of it snapping and the engine making a nice dent in your bonnet...

Good luck :D

Thanks for the information - much appreciated.

My car had Koni top-adjustable dampers and H&R springs fitted in October 2000 and the car has done about 48k miles since then. I'm not planning on replacing the suspension at this point but I do think the bump stops will need replacing by now.

If the front bushes aren't going to make a huge difference I'll just leave them for now and just do the rear axle bushes and rear bump stops, since I don't think I've ever hit the front bump stops but regularly hit the rear.