Sign in to follow this  
rayb74

High flow cat for 2.0l 9a 16v

My C has been making some really annoying and embarrasing "rattles" from the under side of the car since I had it and the petrol consumption is still getting worse. I have bought a new lambda sensor and was wondering wether it was worth going the de-cat route .Having spoken to someone at powerflow he advised me that the cat bypass had to be welded so I could not switch with my old setup at M.O.T.

Is there a way round this?

If I decided to play it safe is the "High Flow" Cat a waste of space gimmick or is it worth it being as I am planning on sticking in a KR inlet cam later on? Can I expect to see an improvement in performance?

Cheers guys......

THe OEM cats are a very effective unit and do offer respectable flow characteristics. Having said this i have supplied and fitted the Milltek Hi Flo Sport Cats for both late 16V and VR6 Corrados which have offered considerable improvements above and beyond that of the OEM cat. I would not recommend you have either a cat or cat by-pass section welded into your system, from a practical point of view you will immediately loose any issue with choice or to replace a faulty component without ditching the exhaust. I can offer you options for both cat by-pass pipes and sport cats which will be able to be bolted into the system onto the existing OEM fittings and come fitted with Lambda sensor ports. I can also supply you with used OEM cats. The Milltek Sport Cats are £285, Cat By-Pass pipes are £55 both are plus £15 Carriage.

Powerflow are crap that's for sure, I had mine made at a really good place called AAS (Advanced Automotive Systems) which have done exhausts and cat passes for me and a few members on here, they are very good and £50 for the cat pass inc the boss and flasres for the Lambda and mounting flared to exchange out for the Mot when it's due, no probs but i can say that it made a huge difference in power on my car. The OEM is classed as a hi-flow cat but it's just not that hi these days compared to what's available, you can't beat a cat pass for flow and power!

Don't waste your money on a higher flow cat unless you are a tree hugger or can't be bothered to undo a few bolts once a year.

Chris