Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Fitting new Aerial - Whats the easiest way?

My bee-sting aerial base looks like it has seen better days so I have purchased a new one.

I'm told the whole roof lining does not need to be removed as you can just pull the back down by the boot and get your hand in to remove one bolt and replace the system.

Now I have no idea how to get at this at all without removing everything?

Any ideas?

What do I remove as I don't want to break anything?

You need to pull the upper trim down that spans the two C pillar trims. There's 2 rows of 4 or 5 clips fitted to it, so edge it down gently to prevent cracking the panel in the middle.

Once that trim is off, the headlining has two 'lugs' formed into it which clip into slots in the roof metal. You need to gently bend these lugs out of the roof in order to drop the lining down a bit.

You can also pull the upper edges of the C trims if you want, but it's just about doable without. Then you need to slide in a 24mm spanner (IIRC) and slacken off the aerial nut.

Refitting is a pain in the arse. I'd get someone to press the aerial down whilst you put the nut back on. Space is tight and you're constantly aware of breaking the roof lining as you move your hands around with the spanner, but you won't!

Ah, that was easier than I thought, you do need two people however which I didn't so placed a towel over the aerial base and a bag of sand over for weight - took a bit of faffing but got there in the end!