Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Aquamist ERL Water Injection Kits ?

Hey all,

I am looking into buying one of these kits for my new project. Has anyone had experience of buying / using / fitting these and does anyone know where I can buy one from, as cheap as possible would be nice !

Cheers.

You can do it way cheaper than the ERL kit, I have a kit on my corrado VR that I can get for less than £200!

Couldnt tell you on the gains, and I will see if I can still get the kits and get back to you.

The kit comes with a 100psi pump that can be used with methanol, realys pipe, pipe work, injector, and presure switch.

I will be putting my spare kit on my G60 when it goes into the golf!

But wen the kit is running on the VR it runs realy cool, thats on a 50/50 water methanol mix!

Most water jets only need 3 bar to achieve atomisation but it's good to get an 'over engineered' pump. Aquamist pumps can deliver 250psi peak....constant pressure is 6 bar IIRC.

I used to use Aquamist on one of my old Golfs and it was brilliant. The inlet manifold was stone cold to the touch after an hour's hard thraping. I had a mate in the chemical industry so could get 10 gallon drums of neat methanol for next to nothing and I'd personally run 60/40 Water/Meth. Too much meth alters the flame front and won't give a good burn.

The pumps are hard worked (triggered by a MAP sensor) and early ERL ones used to burnout really easily, but I think they've solved that now.

WORD OF WARNING: The pump must be mounted below the water container level to provide a gravity feed as dry running the pump will kill it very quickly.

Gains on a 16V Turbo where 25hp...mainly because the chilled inlet charge facilitated an ignition advance of 6 degrees above stock 16V...which for a turbo, is bloody good going!

I fitted mine at the same time as my charge cooler on the VR so its hard to say.

The pump in my system is a surflo with viton valves!

Prolly not as much due to the knock sensors. The advantage of the old KR 16V was fixed timing via K - star. I could run obscene levels of advance with the H20/Meth :D

Here is a pic of the kit I got. I have had no problems with the kit in 12 months. Well I did but it was my fault and the parts where still replaced under a warrenty!

There is an option of a duel stage system, and polished pumps.

I had had a few kits of this guy and he will do a deal on a group buy!

Mate,

Superb, am very interested. How do you want to go about doing this ?

Can I just go ahead and get one kit or or you going to do a group-buy ?

Let me know,

Cheers

BigEastsideTartanTimmyG60 add you your title possible group buy and see if we get any numbers!

Blue_Joe struggling to prove numbers at the momnet, as the VR if off the road in bits, and my G60 engine will only be fitted into the golf in 3 weeks!

Erm, busy decorating. Although may have plenty of free time after July 1st when I may be made redundant/ :roll:

Ian would you be waiting to fit to you other engine when you do the swap or would you put it on this one?

erm, kinda both... would want one for the engine that's about to come out of J-DUB and go into H-YYU and probably one for the engine that's going to go back into J-DUB... ;) :twisted:

I was going to say to could have my spare kit and ginnie pig it, as your opinion is valued on here.

hi there.... just stumbled across this... would this kit also fit the 1.8T engine?

if so can you provide more details and would it be ok to add a few audis to your group buy?

Yep, certainly does Nathan mate.

Would be a good time to incorporate that into a remap job?

Is yours the twin intercooler job? Ideally you want the jet far enough away from the throttle body to atomise fully. I tapped mine into the front mount IC but that may not be poss on yours, but it could go on that rigid metal inlet pipe though.

excelent.... can i have more details on the kit so i can post it on the audi-sport forum.

yeah the s3 all have twin IC.. one either side of the car.

did you DIY fit yours kev??? i can see another favor being asked here!! lol has the price gone up or is it still 6 bottles of bud!! :D

oh and im currently sorting a remap with AMD.. should be done in the next month

Well there's Gibber's kit above or a choice of kits at http://www.aquamist.co.uk

I'd recommend getting a kit with a flow sensor because those pumps as I say are fickle and you won't know if the pump is actually working or not, until the engine dets itself to death (if the map has been significantly advanced).

So, an inline valve will tell you if the water is moving and illuminates a dash panel. I wouldn't use an aquamist again without this personally.....and yes, I've been there. Nearly lost two pistons in my 16V T when the pump failed.

Yeah I DIY'd mate. It's easy to fit but I'd recommend the tuning be done on a rolling road as you don't want to swamp the engine with too much water/methanol!!

ah ok... i thought Gibbers one was the aquamist kit.

so its not just an add on after i get it chipped?

i should get it done at the same time as the remap then?

any idea on the power gains i can expect with the aquamist?