Sign in to follow this  
Tattie

Help - Noisy belts/pulleys on a G60

I've had the budgies in for a while but it used to disappear with a spot of WD40 or damp weather. I've now had enough!

Just had the belts changed but the noise is still there. It's still in the garage at the mo getting the rear wishbones done.

Volkskraft seems to think its probably knackered pulleys. Any idea on costs for these or possible other alternatives remedies?

All the belts are from GSF, so hopefully they're up to spec. As for the pulleys, I'll have a chat with volkskraft tomorrow.

Suggest getting the VAG original ones, as JimsG60 recently had exactly the same problem, until Stealth replaced the belts with VAG original ones, that JimsG60 brought them.

Tempest

Tattie, Take the belt off & feel the pulley bearings. If the pulleys have any play in the bearings - that's likely to be the problem... :wink:

Steve,

its definately the pulleys. They're on there way out. Volkskraft have had them soaking in aerosol grease and they have quietened down a lot. Still wee bit squeaky. Will need doing in the medium term

So are the pulleys VAG only or do GSF or EuroCar Parts sell them?

Incidentally they replaced my rear axle bushes and engine belts (most parts supplied) and got it MOT'd for £145. Not bad I thought when I'd heard of £250 plus for bush replacements!

We sell the pulleys - when you order them, specify that you want the "INA" type. INA also make the OE pulleys... :wink:

Cheers Tempest! :)

I had the exact same problem Tattie.. Stealth used an OE spec belt from GSF or similar and as soon as the belt was changed during a major service I had squeaking noises every single bloody day from the pulleys.. I had all sorts of suggestions for what the noise could be, including water pump on the way out, imminent charger death, etc etc. And the noise was truely awful.. I mean like almost sounded like metal on metal scraping. A touch of WD40 would sometimes cure it, but it would always be back the following day.

h100vw suggested I take a trip to VW for one of their genuine belts.. think it was about 22 quid after I wangled a small discount. VW belt has stitching on the back and sides which basically is supposed to eliminate the belt squeak. Went back to Stealth, they fitted the new belt for free, ne'er a peep from it till the day I sold it. Absolutely silent in the belt area.

In short, lose the non-OE belt, and get one from VW. It should definately sort your noises! :)

This problem has just started on mine, does anywhere sell OE spec poly ribbed belts that are the right length for use with a 68mm pulley? My current belt definately doesn't have stitching on it.

INA also make bushes & bearings, top quality.

Just ask at GSF and Euro. Take them out of the box and have a look before buying. Make sure you don't get one that is smooth.

Gavin

Just buy an original belt from VW - the standard VW one will work fine on a car with a 68mm pulley.

Just buy an original belt from VW - the standard VW one will work fine on a car with a 68mm pulley.

The std belt is 20mm to long for a 68mm pulley. It would work if the tensioner has been modified via jabbasports methods though as the cut the tensioner and move it down rather than using a shorter belt on the kits.

Ah - I guess my old G60 tensioner had been modified then. I never realised. I just went to VAG and got a new belt and it worked like a charm.

My apologies!

Better check if my tensioner is modified then! have noticed that my belt has cross hatching on the back, but it still squeaks so will have to go...