Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

slackening the serpentine belt on a G60 block

How can I do this? Slightly related to Tatties recent post, I too have worn out bearings on one of the pulleys (probably alternator or idler pulleys) and have realised that the serpentine belt is too tight - I cannot twist it laterally by 90 degrees.

On cold starts I can hear a grinding sound that is related to the belt - intermittent grinding type noise that is very hard to locate. I'm thinking this is either the above or the the water pump?

Thanks for any help!

do you mean the long belt that drives the charger? as it should be self tensioning with the spring loaded tensioner which isnt adjustable

There is no adjustment for belt tension. You should check the correct length belt is fitted. It's not like a cam belt.

Has your motor had a chip n pulley from Jabbasport? they fit a cap to the tensioner to take up the slack created by fitting a smaller pulley. I had one on my Golf and I am convinced it wore out the charger bearings.

Gavin

No its on the standard pulley and I have just fitted a replacement belt that I bought from VW. Am I doing the right thing by checking the tension - twisting it laterally to 90 degrees?? I'm positive I read the belt should do this if it is at the correct tention. Perhaps the belt is fine and theres just a pulley (or two) with tired bearings that I need to locate!

What sound would I expect from the water pump if it was gone?

Thanks again - help appreciated!

I don't think that you check it by twisting thru 90 degrees. VW will have done the maths and you just fit the right length belt.

Sometimes the tensioner springs vibrates and makes a horrible row. Try holding it still, especially noticeable if the tickover is a bit low.

The jockey wheels are a bit of a weak spot IMO. I have replaced them on both my Golf and Passat. GSF sell them pretty cheap.

Gavin

Cool thanks - I'll try just changing the pulleys over, starting with the idler pulleys and see where it goes form there. Also have a test of the tensioner.

Again, help appreciated :)