Sign in to follow this  
juloesG60

Corrected timing, now lost 65% power and runs rough ideas?

Just talked to the garage and they are saying that they cant seem to find the problem! From what i understood he said that the cambelt hadnt slipped and they cant find a problem that could cause this much power loss! Baffling them! great just what i need a shit load of labour charges! crazy

isnt there a mark on the flywheel that should line up with the mark on the bottom pulley? that should show if the woodruf key has gone and slipped

coolrado, yeah, there's a timing mark on the flywheel. When that's at it's mark, the engine is at TDC and so the timing marks on the bottom pulley should also line up...

Definately dazed and confused; thanks for the help Henny! Right so i think all i need to do is take the pulley back as i dont need it and buy a woodruf key from VW as i have the DX crank bolt on order from G-Werks and i have the other bits and pieces. Thanks again.

Bob, we have got you going in the wrong direction. A woodruff key is how Henny describes it, a semicircular chunk of steel which 'keys' an outer pulley/drive/whatever to the inner shaft.

In the case of the bottom cam belt pulley. As it fits to the end of the crank there is a notch machined into the crank and a corresponding raised piece on the pulley. This prevents the pulley from being fitted in the wrong orientation and also if the bolt were to become loose would drive the belt for a while until the loading and unloading of the pulley destroyed it.

I and most others on the forum would call it a woodruff key, as there isn't a better name for it.

It sounds to me like you have got the right pulley, post a picture with the part number and we can check it out for you.

The round pip you described, is to make sure that you fit the crank pulley in the correct orientation, also the four bolt holes are not drilled in a perfect square so it wouldn't bolt to the cam belt pulley if you got it wrong.

Cheers

Gavin

isnt there a mark on the flywheel that should line up with the mark on the bottom pulley? that should show if the woodruf key has gone and slipped

It's quite difficult to tell if the woodruff key has moved though! My valvers key had sheared, and you couldn't really tell if it was out at the crankshaft end, the play on the bottom pulley was barely noticeable, but it put the camshaft static timing out by 3 teeth.

Well after a week at the garage picked the car up today, to find he found nothing broken only various things in need of adjustment, at a cost of £70 instead of a possible grand for crackshaft, im feeling better, but very weird how it lost so much power and matched what seems to be a cam belt shift! well least its back on the road!..though i think when i get the crank bolt changed it may reveal somethin else!