Sign in to follow this  
andrewdowd

poor throttle response and stalling

my 91 G60 is a tad unresponsive when i poot my foot down, it still goes really well but it feels there is room for improvment esp when i heard my mates golf rallye the other day, also the main problem is when i let my foot of the throttle the engine almost stalls then picks up at the last second, this happens at any temperature and from any amount of revs, even if i just dip the clutch when im coasting along, any ideas?

Timing? Admittedly mine's only a NA 8v, but that's pretty much what's been happening to mine since the timing was incorrectly altered...

hmm, could be a thought, probably more like an air leak somewhere its been like it for a while and the timings not been altered in any way. might pay to get it checked out though, anyone know the timing settings for a standard motor runnning a piper fast rd cam?

I would replace the fuel filter and mesure the fuel pump pressure out (4bar).

Also check your spark plugs (W6DPO) and give them a good clean. 8)

check all of your vacuum pipes for leaks/splits and then get the timing checked by someone who knows what they're doing (if they don't disconnect the blue temp sender, take the keys off them, call them a muppet and drive away! ;) :lol: )

cool does anyone have correct procedure and settings on doing the timing? i'll buy a gun and do it myself, I dont trust any of the local garages enough to touch my motor :D

Disconnect BTS, revs should drop as the ECU goes into service mode, then with the engine between 2000-2500 rpm set to 6 degrees BTDC.

Please excuse my ignorance here but how can you check the advance of the distributer whilst the car is running; if you disconnect it to look the car will die?

G60 Bob, you use a timing strobe with adjustable flash timing on it... you never need to disconnect the dizzy... ;)

You can loosen the dizzy slightly so that it's adjustable by hand with the engine running, but still tight enough so that it isn't affected by the fact that the engine's running... then it's just a case of setting the strobe to 6degrees and pointing it at the flywheel and adjusting the dizzy to get the timing mark on the flywheel to appear stay at the mark on the gearbox inspection hole... 8)

The timing was set to 6 degrees statically but i dont have a timing light to ensure that it is 6 degrees at 2-2500 revs. Is this still likely to be correct or to be sure do i need a timing strobe?

G60 Bob, you really need a decent strobe...

I got a decent digital one off ebay a while back for about £40 delivered! 8) I wanted a Snap-on one, but could never seem to catch the auctions at the right time... :(