Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

16V Belts

Ive replaced the timing belt on my 16V, what other belts are there?

I know of a belt for the alternator is there a 2nd belt for the fan? Does this drive the power steering?

Its a non AC 16V 1.8

I think there is a seperate small belt for the PAS, there is also a cam chain which may be worth changing while doing the belt.

Baz2004, There's 3 belts on a 1.8 16V

working from the engine out:

1) Cambelt

2) Alternator belt (also does waterpump)

3) P/S pump

There isn't a "fan belt" as such 'cos the fan is electric... ;)

8)

Cheers for that

Its the Alternator belt that’s making all the noise, the P/S was replaced not so long ago but Im thinking it has to come off in order to get at the Alternator belt on again.

So far as the little chain from one cam to the other is concerned, I have had a 16V Passat for 250 000km (about 155 00 miles) and haven't changed it yet. It rattles very slightly - there is no tensioner so far as I know - but it is so short that I doubt if it ever has a chance flutter or surge.

I am of course open to criticism, but I don't believe that it is a problem area.

By the way, Baz2004, you did change the cam belt tensioner too I hope.

Best wishes

RB

nah, I've had several valvers in my time and have only ever changed the chain 'cos I was doing either a head gasket or a full set of tappets to quieten the engine down... Seemed stupid to put an old chain back in for the sake of less than £20... 8)

I've never heard of one letting go, but I've heard a few that start to get a little noisy...

I've heard of them letting go, at least 2 but one of the engines wasn't exactly standard, in fact I'd say that the chain was one of the few remaining standard parts on it :lol:

Oh and Barry, the alt and pas belts would have been off already when the tbelt was being changed, maybe the alt belt wasn't tightened up enough when being put back on and that's why it is noisy....

As for the chain, my mate with a 200,000 mile corrado 2.0 16v had it brake on him, luckey bastid didnt bend anything as a result one of the other lads had a nut come off one of the cam caps and it got cought in the cam chain snapping it

Barry, there are 2 belts, go to the motorfactor up by james and order them, they will most prob have them in stock, they did when i owned that car and did the belts

Its not making crazy noise just enough to echo through the head, I have a feeling the alternator belt is worn cus when I wet it there is little to no noise.

It may seem a bit of a gamble but I haven’t replaced the chain, its not rattling nor are the tappets.

I’m not going to have it ready for next Mondays track day but I may bring it out for display purposes ;)

i checked my cam chain when doing the cambelt and it was fine (150k) so fine in fact that my mech. said that it must have been done in the past , but i`ve had the car for 50k and i sure havent done it

By the way, Baz2004, you did change the cam belt tensioner too I hope.

By this I guess you mean the eccentric pulley bolted to the block? I changed the cam belt on mine and left the original tensioning beast on there, do they fail very often? I am getting a whining noise from the cam belt, which i put down to it being a bit tight, could it be the tensioner?

cheers, toad.

Toad, Sounds like your tensioner is fairly worn - always replace when doing the cambelt. If the tensioner seizes - your cambelt will snap & wipeout some of your valves.

Cheers. I hadn't really thought about the tensioner when we did the work on the car, too busy thinking about everything else. I guess i'll add a new one to the list next time i order some bits.

Toad

I don’t think I replaced the Timing belt tensioner on my valver never knew they could seize up. Do valvers have cam belts? Can you replace the studs in the tensioners?

Can they (tensioner & chain) be fitted without disrupting the timing?

I don’t think I replaced the Timing belt tensioner on my valver never knew they could seize up. Do valvers have cam belts? Can you replace the studs in the tensioners?

Valvers do have cam belts, and they use the same tensioner as the 8V engines too... dirt cheap and a doddle to fit.

You can replace the stud, but, to be honest, I don't really see the point unless the thread has become damaged.

The tensioner CAN be replaced without disrupting the timing as long as you're careful. The cam chain needs the cams removing to be fitted, so NO, you can't change it without disrupting the timing.

Valvers do have cam belts, and they use the same tensioner as the 8V engines too... dirt cheap and a doddle to fit.

All the NA 8v's I've seen have a narrower tensionner and timing belt than the 16v's, don't know about G60 engines though.

David.