Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Bust odometer

My odometer and trip have stopped clocking up the miles, although everything else in the unit still works. Am I right in thinking that it will be part of the speedo cable coming out of the back of the unit? If so, does anyone know if these cables are interchangable with MK2 Golfs, Passats etc?

The car is a 1990 1.8 16v (and any photos or tips on the repair would be much appreciated).

Cheers,

Tom

It's the analogue one, and the speedo, tachometer and verything else still work fine. Musicman/ thanks for the links, I'll check them out as soon as I get a moment.

Cheers,

Tom

This is often caused by the little cog on the end of the milage counter becoming jammed or coming loose... The same thing used to happen to Beetles, Golfs and other VWs with mechanical milage counters. The other thing that can happen is that the reset for the trip jams up the mechanism and stops both counters from moving.... :|

Remove the clocks, open 'em up and you'll see on the end of the shaft which has the numbers on it the small cog which is driven by a worm gear... make sure that these are clean and will turn when the speedo cable turns... 8) It's not rocket science as to how these work, but it is a little fiddly and involves lots of small parts, so be carefull not to drop any! ;)

*edit* d'oh... just visited Musicman's links to find they say what I just said in this post... :roll: :lol: