Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Cutting out plate recess and meshing or flushing ?

Hey all,

I am considering cutting out the plate recess from the fromnt of my C and replacing it with colour-coded mesh to sit flush with the actual front of the bumper. There is a reason for this, which will be revealed in due course, as well to look more aesthetically pleasing :D Also I am not sure where to fit the number plate now and how exactly to go about fixing it to the bodywork ?

The other option would be to smooth the plate recess completely. This would look pretty nice but wouldn't allow as much airflow and subsequent cooling into the engine area etc. :(

Has anyone carried out either of these mods to thier front bumper and what are people's thoughts ??

Cheers

i have... and although does allow some nice airflow from a styling point of view i feel it looks shite... it depends on wether you want "show or go" the choice is yours...

I've flushed my bumper. Think it looks nice. I relocated the plate underneath. I've bolted two L brakets to the plate a cable tied them to the lower bumper. Probably dosn't help cooling though.

Looks nice IMO.

Just goota get an eyebrow or something for the front now.

Think that these ones look great IMO. However, the mesh would have to be formed so that it sits flush with the very front face of the bumper and would need to be colour-coded. Kills two birds with one stone, looks flush and aids cooling

Cheers

flush mount some fine mesh and then paint on your numberplate! Best of both worlds, from a distance it looks standard, but up close it's a cool mod AND gives the extra cooling you want... ;)

Yep similar anyway, he meshed the bumper in black, then cut out the numbers on his number plate, and mounted the white bit spaced slightly away from the mesh, at first glance you couldnt see what he had done!

This is mine back in 1999.

[Gold Member mode on] I like GOLD [Gold Member mode off]

Crazy dutch b*stard

Now changed to the big charge cool radiator.

I know someone here in the US that meshed the front and painted the plate numbers on. Car got impounded for fictitious plates. $350, and an insurance increase to get it back. :roll:

Edit: By the way, they were the correct and legal numbers too.

I know someone here in the US that meshed the front and painted the plate numbers on. Car got impounded for fictitious plates. $350, and an insurance increase to get it back. :roll:

Edit: By the way, they were the correct and legal numbers too.

That's 'cos the law is somewhat different over there... It's legal to do that over here and was actually standard on some older cars... (MGBs and Lotus Elans for a start... )

Aren't your numberplates also something to do with your road tax over there?

Heres mine;

DSCI0164.jpg

Plate now in the center and eyebrow fitted.

sorry about pic size.

what headlamps are they mate??

Bally they look like OEM with rings put in!

Henny think that will be different now since we went over to white and yellow reg plates, as it states that is has to be a plain reflective white or yellow back ground, so the old £1000 fine will step it.

What makes me laff is it is only a £50 for having no reg plate on, if you say it fell off!

gibber, yeah, but then you can get done for carrying an unsafe load... :|

I thought that only the REAR numberplate HAD to be reflective? You could always just use white reflective paint around the black none reflective letters... ;) :lol:

Bally/gibber : Yeah there standard lights with (cheap) rings in,

Now disconnected as they started going off one by one , May put some decent ones in one day but was never too sure on the look??

Bally, and that means what????

if you walked outside and caught your mum with the postie im sure it would catch your attention too!

doesnt mean its good :lol:

remember seeing a old skool dub with flip plates at a show.....hidden untill you start her up and then the plates pop out james bond styleeee!!!

Bally, and that means what????

if you walked outside and caught your mum with the postie im sure it would catch your attention too!

doesnt mean its good :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

what I meant was they look different..

what my mum does aint none of yr business.... :p